X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we really need this?

Windows Home Server???!!!

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12354_22-63385.html
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Do we really need this?

You don't.

I don't.

Most of the people on this forum don't.

Microsoft does.

End.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I've been using WHS for about a month now and I have to admit that I am pretty impressed with it so far. For the home (sort of technical) user it's ideal.

* Central file share for all those MP3's / photo's / video's / documents etc
      * Personal area for each family member
      * Complete backups of all pc's connected to the server so a complete restore can be carried out any time via the rescue disk
      * Access to all files remotely and the ability to download / upload documents
      * Ability to remote controll any PC connected to the home server (Unfortunatley no WOL yet but I belive this is being looked into)
      * Integrated with you wireless Media Centre inc Xbox 360

Don't knock it untill yuu give it a try.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I could see a need for such a thing for some people but at the moment I don't think I would use it.. I must admit m80arm it sounds ideal for the home techie until it goes wrong that is.
        The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
        ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

While we're at it, I think we need a few more versions of Vista too. The selection is a little too narrow at this point.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
            I could see a need for such a thing for some people but at the moment I don't think I would use it.. I must admit m80arm it sounds ideal for the home techie until it goes wrong that is.
            Documentation is really good and everything is wizard driven. Even redundant drives is simple. Simply add a new drive to the PC and WHS automatically adds it to the allocated pool of available space. When settings up a new share simply tick a box and WHS ensures the data is stored on two seperate drives just incase.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
              While we're at it, I think we need a few more versions of Vista too. The selection is a little too narrow at this point.
              well, im sure there is something in the works. maybe they can release a *working* edition of vista along with the other 10 releases of vista and longhorn already plaguing the p2p nets...

that is a load of server releases...
              SBS
              ent., std, workgroup...
              64 std, ent...

jeez.

so will the home edition support exchange? i wonder if any home server users will be setting up their family with email accounts... and smartphones.

ewwww.

so now DP has to make a new forum area for windows home srv. hahah. i cant wait to see the forum topics for that...

Topic: my sons roaming profile doesnt work in the front room.
              Topic: wifes phone fails activesync

whee!
              its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
              Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

it will N O T have exchange.

reminds me, gotta install the latest version of WHS.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X