Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD Media Storage Units

Hey all,

I'm in the process of reorganizing our companies media library for everything we've purchased in the last few years. We've been using large double door metal cabinets with cardboard soda can flats for I can't tell you how long. The process of adding new media or merging multiple libraries together has been a real painful process. Not to mention it just looks ugly and very unprofessional.

What does everyone else use to store their software media?

-Phrancie

Re: CD/DVD Media Storage Units

CD binders from any computer store really.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've estimated that we have around 10,000 discs and ~40 MSDN subscriptions of which about 7 of them have media distributions. Binders work for the most commonly used stuff which I keep here at my desk to hand out when needed but I'm really looking for a way to store the rest without having them stacked up in cardboard boxes on a shelf.

Do most companies even keep track of their media? I've read a few articles that discuss this and some talk about companies that leave it up to the end user to keep track of their physical media. We've recently been audited and let me tell you, it's a real pain to prove compliance when you don't know where everything is.

-Phrancie

Comment

Want to make some money, invent something that will work for you and sell it to others. There must be others in the same boat that need something. 10,000 CDs is a lot of space. Maybe you could modify a filing cabinet and have the CDs sitting in some sort of hanging sleeve. You could get 2 wide in each drawer, 2 high and about 320 deep. That is about 1,280 CDs minimum per filing cabinet drawer. 3 x 4 drawer filing cabinets an problem solved. Space could be left for future additions.

If it works, I want 10% commission.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by phrancie View Post
          I've estimated that we have around 10,000 discs and ~40 MSDN subscriptions of which about 7 of them have media distributions. Binders work for the most commonly used stuff which I keep here at my desk to hand out when needed but I'm really looking for a way to store the rest without having them stacked up in cardboard boxes on a shelf.

Do most companies even keep track of their media? I've read a few articles that discuss this and some talk about companies that leave it up to the end user to keep track of their physical media. We've recently been audited and let me tell you, it's a real pain to prove compliance when you don't know where everything is.

-Phrancie
          "Compliance" is really not an awful lot to do with media. Compliance is about what software is installed on what computers, and where it is USED, and whether you can prove ownership of enough licences to cover your USAGE. Media is irrelevant to compliance.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

We stopped our TechNet and Select media subscriptions. Now we just maintain a TechNet subscription where we can go download whatever media we want. Works well enough. What's funny is Microsoft still keeps some old stuff around. For instance, I can download MS DOS 6.22, MS BOB, etc.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I've never even heard of MS BOB until today.

Bob failed to penetrate the market and was Microsoft’s most visible failure as a company.
              From the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

TBH I we had that many CD's I'd store em in a skip ... Thats way too many!

JeremyW Wrote: I've never even heard of MS BOB until today
                I thought MS BOB was one of the muppets
                The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Jason, we are in the midst of children. Never heard of MS Bob. Shame on you all. I suppose next you will tell me you don't know how to use Edlin.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Edlin
                    Come on, everyone knows what that is
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      Jason, we are in the midst of children. Never heard of MS Bob. Shame on you all. I suppose next you will tell me you don't know how to use Edlin.
                      Agree. Maybe we should take them up on our knee and tell them some stories of the way things were back in the day where men were men and optimizing config.sys and autoexec.bat to squeeze the most conventional memory possible to run that new game or application was a regular chore, and a form of art in and of itself. I liken it to the movie Apollo 13 where they have to get the command module powered up in the right sequence and draw 20 amps or less *LOL*
                      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Just ran mem /c on XP. Gee I am glad they did away with DOS on this O/S.

And Michael, just incase you weren't kidding, Edlin.com is in the Windows\system32 folder. Have a play.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

EDLIN.... LOL. If you can use EDLIN, you're half way to being able to use VI in Linux.

How about COPY CON to make your text files

Comment

I have a version of VI for Windows. And do you remember using copy /b <file> LPT1: to print stuff? I don't remember BOB either... I'm no spring chicken though! I started computing with a CBM 3032:

### COMMODORE BASIC ###

31743 BYTES FREE

READY.

Ahhh - them were't days. BBC Micro Model B, ZX 80/81/Spectrum... VIC 20, C64, Tandy TRS-80, Dragon 32. It was a great time. Then they brought out the Apricot and a couple of other "IBM Compatible PC's" and the world got awful. Never mind - at least it means I have a job! LOL

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
                              How about COPY CON to make your text files
                              I'm uses it quite often when i need to create a simple batch.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X