I am incredibly stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am incredibly stupid

So yesterday I sent a field engineer out to setup a simple Outlook POP3 account for a client who lives 10 miles away. I'd added a new POP box for the client on the hosting servers we run, given it a username and password and gave the details to the field techie, then I promptly went into a meeting and was then unavailable.

The field techie comes to me today and says, "That username / password didn't work yesterday, what could be wrong?". I looked it up and said to him that I'd given him the wrong password by mistake - I'd left a digit out. "You'll have to go back to the client and enter the correct password into his Outlook POP3 account."

Techie looks at me and there's a pause. He shuffles from foot to foot. "But boss, why can't you just alter the password on the hosting server to match the one you gave me and then it'll just work." Long silence as I sink my head onto the desk in utter amazement at the incredible stupidity of my suggestion.

"Someone take me out to the car park and shoot me!"
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: I am incredibly stupid

More than happy to agree with someone who is right.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, biggles77, I expected no less from you.

New forum suggestion - stupid things we've done. Might need a new terabyte server....
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
        . Might need a new terabyte server....
        Only a terabyte, Paul, no need to be so modest.....you are amongst friends. (Better double that if we are to include mine as well)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Oh boy that would make a great forum....I have quite a few of my own....
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Here we go Paul, always someone trying to step in and steal our glory.
            Last edited by biggles77; 2nd March 2007, 23:10.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, i did not know this was a private topic....
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Ok, but you have to supply your own HDD.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Lior_S is very welcome to our private forum - this forum is private, isn't it? I thought the whole Internet was private....
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.

Comment

It's so good to see that there are so many good friends here, isn't it, Paul?
                    Just take off your pants, they'll spank you before you know it
                    Last edited by sorinso; 3rd March 2007, 11:41.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -
                    «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      Just take off your pants...
                      Hi Sorin,

Biggles77 said he had his wire brush ready, so I think I'll keep them on for ever

Has Lior_S decided which "stupid" story to share with us ?

Have good weekends, Gentlemen and Good Vulcans.
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

**AHEM**

You're looking at the guy that printed two copies of a letter; one for his file, and one for the fax machine...

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                          **AHEM**

You're looking at the guy that printed two copies of a letter; one for his file, and one for the fax machine...
                          That is a good one. (It wasn't a Dilbert Fax (shredder) was it?) Worthy of Maxwell Smart when he was told to make 8 copies of the new safe combination, destroy 7 and put the last one in a secure location. And where did he put the last copy? In the safe of course.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                            Has Lior_S decided which "stupid" story to share with us ?
                            Well being as we are now swapping, and you asked...
                            I once got an email regarding an SSL cert that was about to expire. I hounded the owner of the company for weeks to make sure he renewed on time. He procrastinated and dragged his feet, and never gave me the go ahead. Good thing too, as the email was spam

I learned to always check the actual cert expiration on the certificate....

Comment

Well, I'll donate one of mine: it was one evening that my boss called to tell me there was a problem with one of the servers. I said "No problem, I'll connect to it from home and put it back to work".
                              As promised, I opened RDP to the server, did some checks and saw that the IP configuration was changed somehow. I set it back to what it was supposed to be and did what I always did: Disable and Enable the Network Connection. DOH !!
                              I enabled the connection back in the next morning, when I got to the office.
                              And another one, not mine: I once called the HP Support for a problem I had with an Autoloader Backup Library: I couldn't unlock the door, to open it and change tapes. After a brief wait, a girl answered and started asking for details, to open a support call. She asked for the model, when it was bought (for warranty) and then asked for the serial number. I said "Wait a sec, I'll check". Went to the machine, nothing. No label, no number... Went back to the phone and told her. Then she told me: "It's not outside, it's on the internal side of the door" . It took her few seconds of silence from my side to understand and started to laugh. Eventually, I found the SN in the SAP.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                              In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                              -
                              «««««

Comment

Working...
                              X