A Question on certs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question on certs

Hi all, i'm new here so bear with please.

i just have a quick question that i wanted your opinion on. I'm currently in school for computer networking. I'm wondering do i really need a bachlor degreee? Or can i just get an Assocciates and then get the needed certs. i have 5 years military experience working with cisco routers and VOIP. The local college is offering a similar degree in half the time and 1/4 of the cost. I understand Bachlor degrees carry weight, but what about in Tech careers?

thanks in advance for your time.

Re: A Question on certs

What country are you in? I must admit that as a Brit I don't understand the question...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I'm in the US.

if i need to be more clear,

does having a 4 year degree really matter? or can i just do 2 years in college grab the needed certs and be employable?

Comment

I think a 4-year degree will more readily start you on a management track; the two years in college plus certs will be more likely to get you started on a technical career from the off with potential for management later. I have to point out that the certs are certs; not qualifications. They are intended to certify existing knowledge and experience. What I would be tempted to do is do your two years college, and during the time you're studying take part time work in a computing discipline anywhere you can get it. As a junior desktop or network support guy if possible. As you gain experience, apply it to your college learning and vice-versa. Once you finish college, try for the conversion; try to get full time employment with your current part time employer. When your experience has built to a good strong foundation, THEN do the certs - when you have your certs, start looking for a new job. (Your current employer will likely not pay as much as a new one, because they don't like giving big raises).

All that being said, the right guy is employable with no in-field qualifications at all; an employer's looking as much for good attitude and passion for the field as he is for qualifications, especially when we're talking about a recent graduate.
        Last edited by Stonelaughter; 1st March 2007, 02:04. Reason: to remove the bits that look patronising on second reading

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I just read your post again and I had missed the 5 years military experience; my apologies.

Still - military experience is not commercial experience; and while you won't be as junior as my post above suggests, the basic ideas I gave still hold water.

In my 17 years in the RAF I found that military systems have had long development times and subsequently tend to be very "pretty" and compare well to the textbook. Commercial systems are messy, fragmented and difficult to support - with many problems that would not occur elsewhere. They are an "experience rich" environment

Tom

Comment

hey Stonelaughter thanks alot for replying. I'm at a major cross roads with my school. i'm at a private university and it just seems as if the stuff i'm studying is just spread thinly so they can force me to pay for 4 years instead of 2. plus they cost an arm and a leg and i'm not sure its all really worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackperoxide View Post
              hey Stonelaughter thanks alot for replying. I'm at a major cross roads with my school. i'm at a private university and it just seems as if the stuff i'm studying is just spread thinly so they can force me to pay for 4 years instead of 2. plus they cost an arm and a leg and i'm not sure its all really worth it.
              Certainly sounds that way to me; however if you do go for the cheaper school be aware that you may well end up getting "cheaper" service, and that things you took for granted in the private place are simply fantasy world in the cheap one.

Tom

Comment

OK, I'm probably the exception but at the time I got my current job, I had no "formal" education... at least no papers saying so.... and still don't unless you count an MCSE. I moved into the position after showing aptitude, desire, and character.
                This just reinforces what Tom said
                ...an employer's looking as much for good attitude and passion for the field as he is for qualifications...
                But, having said that, I might be looking to get a degree at some point and I can guarantee I'll be spending as little time in a classroom as possible.
                Have you looked at CLEPs?

There's programs out there that help you get a 4yr. degree in a fraction of the time and price. I say help because you don't get your diploma through them, rather they give you resources and point you in the right direction to get a diploma from the college/university of your choice... though some universities are more friendly to this method then others.

The reason I know somewhat about this is because I personally know two people who have gotten their BS that way and one more who's working on it now.

One program I know of is College in a Box but I must warn you that they have a religious slant... but I'm sure there's others out there that provide similar services.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  OK, I'm probably the exception but at the time I got my current job, I had no "formal" education... at least no papers saying so.... and still don't unless you count an MCSE. I moved into the position after showing aptitude, desire, and character.
                  This just reinforces what Tom said
                  Jeremy I suppose I am also an 'exception' I never went to a typical college nor had any formal training in IT. My inspiration comes from my father. He is a research physicists, graduated from the Weizmann institute, PhD in nuclear physics. However in his entire career never has anyone asked to see his PhD. He says the only way to succeed is to know what you know, not what someone else says you know.

sorry blackperoxide if I hijacked your thread a bit, though work hard and you will succeed in whatever path you take.

EDIT - I guess I am a trained father
                  "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                    Jeremy I suppose I am also an 'exception' I never went to a typical college nor had any formal training in IT. My inspiration comes from my father. He is a research physicists, graduated from the Weizmann institute, PhD in nuclear physics. However in his entire career never has anyone asked to see his PhD. He says the only way to succeed is to know what you know, not what someone else says you know.

sorry blackperoxide if I hijacked your thread a bit, though work hard and you will succeed in whatever path you take.

EDIT - I guess I am a trained father
                    Welcome to the "much larger group than I expected". I would say that you gave some relevant advice.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

hey i wanted to thank all of you for your replies.

i've taken a bit more time to review my options and i'm sure i want to go ahead and get my bachelors. i was able to find a school that incorporates some of the major certifications into the curriculum so i'm meeting both goals simultaneously.

i'm a firm believer that hard work and motivation go along ways in a person's favor when looking for work or advancement.

Comment

Good question.

I am not a degree holder. I was amazed to see powerful features of Windows OS when I was doing my college. I used to miss lectures and do some installation on my friend machine, play computer games etc. It affect my mark sheet, I moved to computer studies. But not university. I joined a private institute for "A+" certification programme. I learnt a lot. Afterwards i started working at a computer hardware shop
                        . In these days computer had so many cables inside the box and blah blah blah.

After some month's I joined MCSE training. During that time, MCSE was in boom....
                        Hehe ...Yeah Microsoft introduced Windows 2000 track. I was interested to know about the features of Windows Server 2000 which has almost all automated feature.
                        Not like Windows NT 4.0 hehe ! My MCSE 2000 track was really bad. I failed in Active Directory for twice. But later on managed to clear it .

During the time I again joined a computer shop as a hardware engineer. And recently last year finished CCNA & joined a big software company.

Not being degree holder affects your salary. Just remember that. Now i resumed my academic studies. After packing 6 certs from Microsoft since 2002, plus CCNA.
                        Certification's still dont hold that much value as degree.

I really prefer certification. 1 should maintain his skillset and recertify otherwise he/she no longer remains a certified professional.

bad thing about degree, spend more than 4000 US$ and above for 4 years and grab a paper which says your B.E. or B.Tech etc etc. I am really sad, no companies adore skilled person's who are not graduate but 1 who has potential to finish all tasks.

It is common in networking field, 35 % admins, network engineers are diploma holder plus certified or just college student + certified. Degree holders + certified goes to Cisco Systems, Nortel, Intel etc . How ever those degree holders dont always have too good knowledge. I dont mean to fight against degree holders.

Regards,
                        Amey Abhyankar.
                        Last edited by sco1984; 5th March 2007, 08:51.
                        All in 1
                        Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Working...
                        X