It is a coincidence...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a coincidence...

Yesterday, I saw a shrink wrapped copy with all the floppy disks of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (what a legend that was) sitting in a client's waste paper basket. Haven't seen one of those for donkey's years. We threw around a few ideas as to what to do with it: eBay, bin, bonfire, keep for nostalgia...

Today, a fellow walks into my office from the street and says, "Where can I get a copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on floppy disk? - I'm desperate!!!" First request I've had like that in... what are the chances of that happening?
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: It is a coincidence...

Did you race out and buy a lottery ticket? I also think it might be a good idea to watch out for lightning in your area. You never know what might happen after the Win 3.11 episode. And the wife says "throw it away if you are not using it".

I have an excess copy of DOS 6.22 if he needs it to go with the Windows 3.11 "operating system".
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      ...a good idea to watch out for lightning in your area...
      LOL

Yeah, I'm really worried about that - my son is in California and they just had an earthquake, so the Gods of Natural Events are a bit cross right now
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Actually, I have a copy of them somewhere, and I even have them on image files if you really must know...
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I have a CD with Windows FW 3.11 on it, disk by disk. I also have a CD with an Office 4.3 Professional Upgrade on it; however I don't have disk one of a qualifying product to upgrade FROM... I was going to set up a VM with my old build on it. Sadly until I get Disk One of Works 3.0 or Wordperfect 5.1 or something I'm knacked...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

So, just to be clear, I've been looking for a disk for ages... anyone got one?

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

And if they have, can I have an image of it? Please?

Tom

Comment

MSDN Subscriber downloads has it.

I am not 100% if it's considered abandonware, but if it is, it's approx 10MB in size, I can mail it to you.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  MSDN Subscriber downloads has it.

I am not 100% if it's considered abandonware, but if it is, it's approx 10MB in size, I can mail it to you.
                  What is it? (i.e. which of the upgrade-qualifying products is it). How can I find out if it's abandonware?

Thanks Daniel.

Tom

Comment

I see they have Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11 and WFW 3.11. Which one do you want? Again, be warned that I will not be able to do this unless you make 100% that these are indeed abandonware, and that I broke no EULA by mailing them to you.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ah - no you misunderstood... I have Windows. I need a "Disk One" from a "Qualifying Product" to upgrade to Microsoft Office Professional 4.3; cos I bought it on CD and then found out it's an upgrade... Something like Wordperfect 5.1, Works 3.0 or something.

Tom

Comment

Ah. Well then, sorry mate. Can't help ya.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Actually i have a set of these on floppy disk as well.

I've also got a couple of Win95, NT4 Workstation and Server disks lying about as well.

Oh and when you put your lottery on tell me the numbers as i want some of that luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X