Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desktop vs. Workstation whats the difference ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop vs. Workstation whats the difference ?

I see this all the time, the same company advertising desktops and workstations in two different categories. You and I know that they are essentially the same, however what do they intend for us to assume when we see those two categories?
    Which one would be the "better" one?

Note: I am not referring to companies that just label the same machine both workstations and desktops. But rather ones that actually "categorize" them as such.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: Desktop vs. Workstation whats the difference ?

Maybe they distinct them for office/enterprise users (with AD, firewalls, office applications and uses) and for the home users (with more entertainment options, games and such).
    One is more solid, while the other one is loose.
    Maybe... although is hard to understand why do they do that.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

I think a "Workstation" implies Word, Excel, Visio, Project and PhotoShop. Along with a dusting of AutoCAD, 3D Studio and Visual Studio.

I think "Desktop" implies a machine which you can slap onto a desk at home and it can do the Word, Excel stuff etc, but it's also great for media playing, making home movies, burning DVD's and surfing the web.

I would expect the same companies to also have a "GameStation" section to their site.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        I would expect the same companies to also have a "GameStation" section to their site.
        I would also expect that companies would ask their customers what are they needs, and provide them a customized configuration. As far as I know the situation here, in Israel, it is far from being so. I often see price offers of computers for home use with an inappropriate configuration.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

Desktop I see for the home user. Workstation for business. I am also amused by furniture companies selling "Workstations" meaning a desk for your computer workstation (or desktop for the top of your desk).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X