Finally, Symantec get what they deserve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, Symantec get what they deserve

for ever going live with their awful AV software, oh my God!

New 'botworm' exploits Symantec flaw | Tech News on ZDNet:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6144282.html

One day they will sue me, but I don't care. I tell anyone that ever listens never to touch anything with the word "Symantec" on it!!!
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Finally, Symantec get what they deserve

I second that, and add Norton to the list (just in case anyone doesnt realise they are one and the same). Pity they managed to buy PowerQuest -- lots more products to ruin
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's sad. Norton Anti-Virus used to be the best anti-virus product around. Then they made it bloated, resource-hungry and slow; and hooked it so far into Windows that it could cause serious system problems. They simply don't get it

I bought AVG for my home machine; I've no idea what I would recommend for corporate users now though.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Symantec Ugh! the only thing worse than their AV is their Internet Security!!!

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        I bought AVG for my home machine; I've no idea what I would recommend for corporate users now though.
        But AVG is free for home use http://free.grisoft.com
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have mixed feelings for Veritas when they got bought out by Symantec.
          But the are on my blacklist too, along with AOL and Kodak Easyshare.
          Grrrr.

I always recommend Trend for AV
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            But the are on my blacklist too, along with AOL and Kodak Easyshare.
            Grrrr.

I always recommend Trend for AV

They will end up with bad impression. Hehe !

Nobody now a days prefer solutions from Symantec at cutomer end. At enterprise level may be yes. Many good vendors are there like CA which is official partner with Microsoft and offers 1 year trial subscribtion for Windows users.

McAfee is also good 1, but there latest Internet security makes machines too slow [ When your machine have 256 MB Ram ] otherwise it runs OK.

Regards,
            Amey.
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              Me too.
              I'm using BackupExec almost ten years now. It was a good product. When Symantec bought them, I was afraid it will stop being like that. And not cheap.
              For instance, the Linux agent used to be free. It costs money now. Jerks !!

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -
              «««««

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                But AVG is free for home use http://free.grisoft.com
                There is a free version for home use, yes; however it has a small amount of crippling which I preferred to get rid of - so I bought it. Also you get full support with the product when you buy it. I bought the "Soho" edition for 2 computers/2 years for the same price that Norton were asking for 1 PC/1 Year. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Storage Exec is a good product but that was a Veritas product. I hate all Symantec, Norton etc... Sophos is the king IMHO!
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                    Sophos is the king IMHO!
                    I've tried like mad to get our place away from McAfee ePO onto Spohos and EM but it seems to fall on deaf ears unfortunately.

Is there any IT guy here who actually likes any of the Symantec range of products??

Personally i like Backup Exec and always have done.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      Is there any IT guy here who actually likes any of the Symantec range of products??
                      Like i said Storage Exec but technically its a veritas product so.... to answer your question.... no!
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Don't forget they also got the quality NZ product, Ghost and made it more complex while maintaining DOS file limitations. I think Symantec have the Merdeish Touch. In case you haven't guessed, it is the opposite of the Midas Touch. It just went downhill after Peter Norton left. Hope he made a bundle and is living the good life. Loved his Utilities up to version 4.5. After that I believe he had nothing to do with the development though he was called back so his name could be used to bulster the Norton company name (that he no longer owned).
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Uh oh. I was just watching the CWNA videos by TrainSignal and David is using Norton!!!
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I've tried like mad to get our place away from McAfee ePO onto Spohos and EM but it seems to fall on deaf ears unfortunately.

Personally i like Backup Exec and always have done.
                            No personally i do like mcafee. But symantec is more a pain in the ass.
                            However, somehow we do support it
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My current workplace gave me their old domain controllers (2) and a client when we moved and had a completely new Dell set up.

Of course, I was grateful for the machines (they were powerful ATX towers, not rack mounted power edges) and ran the Symantec Anti-Virus client/server suite. It seemed to literally grind everything to a halt and the patches were every three days! Trend Micro patches twice a day sometimes!

I was glad to format them and create fresh domain controllers!

Now, we use Mcafee and so far so good

Comment

Working...
                              X