Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another happy moment

Hi, people.
    Hope it's OK I share with you some happy moments in our (otherwise) boring profession:

Mouse Balls &Mouse Ball inspector

I don't know how they wrote this with a straight face. This was a real memo sent out by IBM to its employees in all seriousness. It went to all field engineers about a computer peripheral problem. The engineers rolled on the floor! Especially note the last couple of sentences.

'If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, a replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel. Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method.
    Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.
    It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

Leave long and prosper !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: Another happy moment

:LOL:

I agree with it... If someone touches my balls I definately discharge

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Of course, since that memo, most mice have been castrated!

When I worked in schools, one of the favourite tricks of the students was to pinch the mouse balls from a whole room, so no-one could work.

Another trick, from the more technically savvy, was to flip the switch on the PSU from 220V to 110V and wait for the fireworks (literally) when the PC was switched on. That stopped after one bright spark (nearly) flipped the switch when the PC was switched on....

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        When I worked in schools, one of the favourite tricks of the students was to pinch the mouse balls from a whole room, so no-one could work.
        Hooray for the optical mice!! What will those get replaced? Their glasses?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Hooray for the optical mice!! What will those get replaced? Their glasses?
          Probably somthing nasty like correction fluid over the sensor!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Cute.
            Here's Snopes' take on it http://www.snopes.com/humor/business/mouse.htm

One of the things I like to do with someone's optical mouse is put a little strip of post-it note over the lens with the message "nice troubleshooting" on it. If they don't figure it out and call me to fix it then I've written myself a nice little note.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy and Tom: you twisted minds !!!

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Clear sticky tape works a treat, it will usually goes unnoticed with a quick inspection

Comment

Nice post.
                    A dark colour pad will make the mouse mis operate
                    Best regards,
                    Mostafa Itani

Comment

Oh, one of my favorite pranks is to make a nice screenshot on the desktop, icons, start menu and all, and configure it to be the wallpaper. Then I hide all the icons and minimize the task bar. I love to see the users pull their hair off...
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                        Oh, one of my favorite pranks is to make a nice screenshot on the desktop, icons, start menu and all, and configure it to be the wallpaper. Then I hide all the icons and minimize the task bar. I love to see the users pull their hair off...
                        Haha, I used that one earlier this week!
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Another, non-computing pair of desk tricks:

1. Put boot polish on the user's telephone receiver and repeatedly call them and hang up.

2. Superglue their mobile to the desk when they go to meetings and leave their mobile on loud. When they get back ring them up and watch them try to pick up the call...

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                            that's just plain Evil

...i'm glad i have a notepad
                            changed

Comment

from another forum:

Well, I've done stuff once or twice Sellotape over the mouse ball/IR, setting the volume to full and setting something stupid to play on start up. Disconnecting the RJ45 cable so they can't log in, using the blue screen screensaver. Setting a gay rights website as the homepage, removing admin rights. Setting the mouse to slowest movement, setting the language to greek. Putting a blank floppy in the PC so it tells them there's no operating systerm on boot...... Maybe quite a few others too.

brilliant stuff here
                              changed

Comment

Working...
                              X