100GBs ethernet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100GBs ethernet

Well maybe you guys that deal with WANs and ISPs regularly already know about this but it's the first I've heard of it...
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061115-8231.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_gigabit_Ethernet
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: 100GBs ethernet

According to our Cable Guy, the fibres being used here can take 1Tbit already... but the copper at either end won't be able to do that for years because of inductive and capacitive losses, and because of radio wave propagation issues. So until fibre channel cable modems and fibre-optic NIC's are the norm in homes, I think we'll have to deal with lower speeds :P

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

they kinda cheated and used 10 x 10Gb links. The interesting part however was slicing a stream into 10 and reconstructing back at the other end. And no you can't have it
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

There was a test done about 18 months ago for Internet 2. It was designed for moving massive amounts of data for the scientific community. The test was setup between Switzerland and California. Cisco made special devices to handle the data/speeds involved. The test lasted 20 and they were moving data at the rate of a CD every 4 seconds. Pretty impressive!! I wish I could find the article. This is not the article but has a bit of info about it. http://www.slate.com/id/2120440/
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          they were moving data at the rate of a CD every 4 seconds
          Imagine how much sheep p0rn you could download with that.

That's some serious bandwith there.

On a side note - What speeds do you guys get? I just wanna see what speeds people get in different countries.

In the UK I'm with Cable and get 4mb d/l 256k u/p (Exc Overheads)

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

m80arm - you're getting ripped off by Telewest

I'm getting 2Mbit downstream and 512kbit upstream from NTL

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

MaxADSL
              Currently 5Mbit down / 800 KBit up depending on if BT like me today!
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In England, i'm at 2Mb but i got a letter through the post saying they are going to upgrade me for no extra cost
                changed

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                  m80arm - you're getting ripped off by Telewest

I'm getting 2Mbit downstream and 512kbit upstream from NTL
                  Are you capped though?

NTL are merging into telewest (Or the otherway around) So I would have thought the products they offer would merge as well.
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                    Are you capped though?

NTL are merging into telewest (Or the otherway around) So I would have thought the products they offer would merge as well.
                    Absolutely not - this is completely unlimited. AFAIK only their 10Mbit offering is capped, and even that's capped at a ridiculously high figure. I think that product merging is a LONG way off - these are two HUGE organisations, and NTL are going to take a long time to merge Telewest's finances into their systems, before they even start on the products. For now, they are very much separate organisations with one overall owner.... and I'm suprised that the Competition commission hasn't had anything to say about it...

Tom

Comment

Melbourne, OZ (not Florida), 1.5 down, 256 up. Hope to move to ADSL2+ this year 24 down, 1 up. However being 2193mts from the exchange I can expect 14-16 down and 1 up. Makes a big change from the 2400 baud days!!
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hmm, I don't have a desire for that much bandwidth so I go for the cheapest plan
                        768k down/128k up for $15/mo. but for $180/mo. I can get 30M down/5M up...
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

my friend is getting this:

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

so, for you Americans, it would be about $45 per month

i'm still unsure about it myself because it seems too cheap, i'll have to wait and see
                          changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
                            my friend is getting this:

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do

so, for you Americans, it would be about $45 per month

i'm still unsure about it myself because it seems too cheap, i'll have to wait and see
                            Don't trust this; TalkTalk tried essentially the same thing and it's something which a LOT of new-kid-on-the-block ISP's are trying. They are promising WAY more than they can deliver. See the "Up to"? It means that if you have your local exchange in your back bedroom, then you MIGHT be able to get 24Mbit (but it's unlikely). And that 1.3Mbit upload is ridiculously ambitious. The local contention ratio along with your distance from the exchange will likely mean that the MAXIMUM you can get is 8-12Mbit down and 512kbit up.

At least with Cable Modem systems, if they sell you 2Mbit then you GET 2Mbit...

Tom

Comment

It means that if you have your local exchange in your back bedroom, then you MIGHT be able to get 24Mbit
                              so that's what the whirring coming from the spare bedroom is... : D
                              At least with Cable Modem systems, if they sell you 2Mbit then you GET 2Mbit...
                              i'm going to stick with mine then, cheers for the advice
                              changed

Comment

Working...
                              X