Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin's Code of Personal Ethics

Well,

here it is in all of its glory... my hard-coded on the job ethics all laid out for your perusal and review.

There's not too many, as I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. factor:

Keep It Simple ...Stacy

This Admin's Code of Personal Ethics
    1) It's NEVER the computer's fault. Ever. Unless you made the mistake. Then see #6.
    2) What can be done today is better left for tomorrow, especially if today is your boss' day off.
    3) They're fellow minions, not co-workers.
    4) Social Engineering is the most important degree/skill an Admin can possess.
    5) Networks always break due to hacker activity, not due to your monkeying around with the NAT tables on the WAN router during business hours.
    6) You never "forgot" the local admin password, the server got hacked and is now inaccessible.
    7) It's not a DMZ, its a "bastion host". Sprinkle this phrase liberally in planning meetings but never give it a definition unless asked directly, then wrinkle your nose before answering.
    8 ) Never answer a yes/no question with YES or NO. The answer is: "Of course it is possible, given enough time." ***
    9) If you can ping it it's up. That doesnt mean it's working, but yeah it's up.
    10) The first thing callers to a HelpDesk line tell you is a LIE.

*** Learned that little jewel while working at M$!

I hope I brought a smile to your face today with my code
    StillAsleep Stacy
    Last edited by StillAsleep; 13th December 2006, 17:24.
    It's not what you know, it who's on your IM list.

Re: Admin's Code of Personal Ethics

Excellent, Stacy!

Now, do I dare tell anyone else about this?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Whats your add?

C'mon now,

You've gotta give me a little gem of your own to polish too!

Here's another one I live by:

11) It's not passing the buck when you get a fellow minion to do the job for you, its "knowledge transferrence".

Who am I kidding, I got a million of 'em ;D

15yrs in the field and I all I got to show for it is this great job with great pay and great people to work with everyday. (Sorry about the last part, the boss was looking over!)

StillAsleep Stacy

Comment

Many of my gems come from my former life as a teacher (High School). The things I've seen... the things I've done...

On-screen spelling correction with Tippex.....
        Some little b***er who thought it was fun to turn off PCs then flip the little switch on the PSU from 220V to 110V...
        And we wont even mention stolen mouse balls!

And of course users who tell you "The Internet's down" when you are happily browsing web sites
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The internet is down!!!!!!

OMG!!!!

I love those calls!

Thats when you say, why yes, for YOU it is. "We" turned it off down here on your computer. What websites have you been browsing lately????

What's even better is that the last admin here left his PAYPAL, EBAY and dad's DELL accounts and passwords in text files on his business docs fileshare, along with his address and racy pics of him and wifey. Not feeling very secure about the FBI right now. LOL

(Yes, I deleted those for him.)

Wait, wait.... you went from being a HS teacher to IT? Did you learn nothing man??? The adults are just more experienced liars, capice? *g*

I'm feeling rather magnanimous now that the boss is gone to lunch for an hour. AHHHH....

You have SONIC drive-in fast food places over there? Ever have a cherry Dr. Pepper soda pop? (think cherry COKE, but palatable)

No?

Well DON'T. Those suckers are addictive!!

Thinking I need to slide into the truck and dart on over there. When the cat's away, they always say! Do you think the huge 44oz plastic cup with loud red and white designs on would tip my hand to him?

Nah, I think I am safe. He dont even look my way ...unless I am giggling.

We are a big happy family of me, 3 fellow minions (all underlings to me NATURALLY) and bossman all together in the raised-floor server room, gently seranaded by the merry humming of the ten racked servers. Group hug anyone?

StillAsleep Stacy

Comment

I always follow this flow chart
            (not my original work, so you may have seen this elsewhere)
            Code:
            B E G I N  H E R E 
                               +------------------+ 
                                         | 
                           YES   +---------------+   NO 
                        /--------| Does It Work? |--------\ 
                        |        +---------------+        | 
                        |                                 | 
                       \ /                               \ / 
                 +-------------+                     +----------+ 
                 | Don't  Mess |               YES   | Did  You |  NO 
             /---|  With   It  |          /----------|   Mess   |------\ 
             |   +-------------+          |          | With It? |      | 
             |                            |          +----------+      | 
             |                           \ /                           | 
             |                     /------------\                      | 
             |                     | You IDIOT! |                     \ / 
             |                     \------------/              +-------------+ 
             |        +--------+          |               YES  |  Will You   | 
             |     NO |  Does  |<---------/       /------------| Pay For It? | 
             |    ----| Anyone |                  |            +-------------+ 
             |   |    | Know ? |--------------\   |                    |  NO 
             |   |    +--------+    YES       |   |                   \ / 
             |   |                           \ / \ /             +-----------+ 
             |   |                       /---------------\  YES  | Will  You | 
             |   |                /----->| You Poor Fool |<------| Be Fired? | 
             |   |   /---------\  |      \---------------/       +-----------+ 
             |    -->| Hide It |  |             |                      |  NO 
             |       \---------/  |            \ /                     | 
             |            |       |  NO  +---------------+            \ / 
             |            |       \------| Can You Blame |       /----------\ 
             |            |              | Someone Else? |       | Trash It | 
             |            |              +---------------+       \----------/ 
             |            \-------------\        |  YES                | 
             |                          |        |                     | 
             |                         \ /      \ /                    | 
             |                       +-----------------------+         | 
             \---------------------->| N O  P R O B L E M !! |<--------/ 
                                     +-----------------------+
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Somewhat sanitised from the version I have!
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Share Tom, share!
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  On-screen spelling correction with Tippex.....
                  At my last job we had less than technical people taking calls and recording them as jobs - my favourite one is a guy who was having problems syncing his eye-patch! It should have been Ipaq!

And of course the classic the guy who wanted to de-fag his hard drive.
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                    i just lol'd at work, and now people are looking at me funny
                    changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
                      i just lol'd at work, and now people are looking at me funny

Me too but they're used to me doing that.. They think it's my age

How about this:

A user suggests (she's not sure) her PC is broken. PC keeps crashing.
                      Symptoms after about 30 mins to an hour the screen goes black and then nothing it won't turn back on for 30 mins! Oh and it makes a noise like a whiring sound.

I ask one of my co-wor..... err I mean minions to go to site and take a look.

He boots up and says the noise is just the fan.... and yes it does get a black screen after a period of time.

He brings it back. Without checking the inside of the box!!!!

Yes it was the CPU fan that had a loose connection. Now don't get me wrong here and I'm not knocking the guy. He then goes on to ask how the fan not working affects the CPU. Of course I said it
                      The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                      ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What happened? Was there a power surge and the drive went poof???
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hee hee, it goes black then not again!!!!

also, there is this classic:

if you don't know what is wrong immediately, ask the user to re-boot their system

it usually fixes it, and if it doesn't, it gives you time to research what is wrong
                          changed

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            What happened? Was there a power surge and the drive went poof???
                            Very good!!! Made laugh out loud - had to explain myself!

Another one - we had a temporary receptionist saying that when she swtiched on in a morning, the computer would not boot up and was stuck at a blue menu screen.

I asked her to show me what she did. She said "Well when it starts it says 'Press DEL to enter setup' - so i press DEL and it stops booting". I asked "What happens if you DON'T press DEL?" - "Oh - I don't know" she replied.

I told her to give it a try... I didn't hear from her again
                            Server 2000 MCP
                            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Very good!!! Made laugh out loud - had to explain myself!

Another one - we had a temporary receptionist saying that when she swtiched on in a morning, the computer would not boot up and was stuck at a blue menu screen.

I asked her to show me what she did. She said "Well when it starts it says 'Press DEL to enter setup' - so i press DEL and it stops booting". I asked "What happens if you DON'T press DEL?" - "Oh - I don't know" she replied.

I told her to give it a try... I didn't hear from her again
                              omg, xD, that's so funny
                              changed

Comment

Working...
                              X