IT Pros: Librarians or Doctors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Pros: Librarians or Doctors?

I have been thinking about the way most of us go about troubleshooting issues. Some are like doctors that know the answer to most issues. Some are like librarians that lookup everything.

Whatever your style do clients have a lesser view of those that lookup everything. Or do they appreciate that 'librarians' double check everything before rushing in.

In an emergency, obviously if you fix it ASAP all the better. But what about routine stuff (design, configuration, minor issues, etc...) Is there an appreciation for thoroughness, especially if the client is clueless either way.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: IT Pros: Librarians or Doctors?

If the client is clueless then to them you are a magician. It doesn't matter if you have to look the answer up (what is the Internet/Google for), all the client wants in most cases is there PC working they way it did before.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Half of it is knowing what to look for. A client may know what's wrong just as much as you know what's wrong but they wouldn't know what to look for to solve the problem...

...if that makes any sense.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, the air of mysticism rises above all else. Can't stand it when an end user praises you for fixing something, when if they had bothered to read the screen, they would have known the magic answer themselves (e.g. hit CTRL + ALT + DEL to log in).

Personally, I'm a mix of both. Assuming I know something about the subject matter, I can usually research a problem, and then disseminate the information gathered into a useful answer pretty quickly.

Does that make me a medical librarian?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm very much a mixture. Some tasks have become routine, others require research.

One difference from either role is the way we (well, me, anyway) spend a lot of time diagnosing a problem and considering not only surface but underlying causes.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You cant be expected to know everything but if there is problem that I dont know how to resolve I know where and how to find the required information that I need to resolve it.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Personally i have loads of books on the book shelf that i use to help.

Oh and i also use the most wonderful tool ever

Last edited by wullieb1; 15th November 2006, 17:24. Reason: sausage fingers

Comment

Working...
              X