Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Techs

Here's my schedule for the past two weeks:

Week 1: go out of town for work, pulled 20 hours of overtime upgrading a branch's phone system and phones with another tech

Week 2 (specifically thurs - sunday): my dept moved 100+ employees (and computers) across various buildings (and floors), updated software installs on all of them, upgraded phones (and upgraded a phone system and some servers were moved across buildings as well as some switches, but I wasn't involved in that stuff), pulled 40 hours of overtime

thurs: 15.5 hours worked
    fri: 14 hours worked
    sat: 15 hours worked
    sun: 12.5 hours worked

... and we're all going in early tomorrow. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...

I pity the fool that pisses off any one of us in the next 24-48 hours You know everyone's exhausted when your boss says "I don't care who's on the server, reboot it now!"

===============

Anyone else got some good horror stories?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Crazy Techs

Ha, Wimp!! Once (when I was a lot younger) worked 5 months, 12 hour shifts, 7 nights a week and I only had one night off. Mind you at the end, I was a babbling idiot and unfortunately the situation still hasn't rectified itself. Then I got a better job.....we only worked 6 nights a week. 5 nights was considered part time (I kid you not).

It get's to you doesn't it!! And then an L users asks, "how do I make a shortcut on the desktop again?"
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Forgot to mention that one building has something like 120 users... with 32 networked printers... why I have no idea...

12 hr shifts? it was either:
      a) important work
      b) minimal staff
      c) cheap bosses
      d) combination of the above
      e) all of the above

for the second job, what was the hours / night?

Thurs night we did some internal moves (within the same building) and on Fri, some users had the gall to ask for their stuff to be moved ("hard drive" moved to the floor vs. under the monitor, or some variation), when they were FULLY aware that they weren't even working that day, they were there only to move their personal items.

Friday night we set up the external moves (between buildings), and of course a handful of users came in saturday morning, when:

a) they weren't supposed to be there
      b) the network wasn't up
      c) we were busy as hell

random questions asked of us:

User A: "i can't print or get my email"
      User B: "so, when are you going to hook up this printer?"

needless to say, we were not amused. The answers were polite versions of "when we get to it".

Note to self: ask about how other posters plan big moves and the like in their companies e.g. automation, planning out time schedules, downtime, etc.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I remember working 12hrs a day for a year with no time off.

I was knacked by the end of it.

Comment

Hmmm can't say i've ever had to work that hard. I have worked in Public Sector most of my life - hence my very frequent visiting to Daniel Petri forums!
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
            Hmmm can't say i've ever had to work that hard. I have worked in Public Sector most of my life - hence my very frequent visiting to Daniel Petri forums!
            Now we know Chris is NOT telling the truth. NOBODY in the Public Sector actually DOES any work!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ugh! I couldn't imagine having a schedule like those described (except Chris's... I wouldn't mind NOT doing work)
              I think the longest day I've ever done was about 18 hrs. running some network cable. But I've heard horror stories about people doing 48 hrs. and such.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I think my longest was nearly a 40hr long weekend moving users, re-patching cabinets and eating pizza
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  Now we know Chris is NOT telling the truth. NOBODY in the Public Sector actually DOES any work!!
                  Ok i admit it!
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok i admit it!
                    Mmmm, an honest liar.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                      Mmmm, an honest liar.
                      Silly aussie!
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Silly aussie!
                        Watch your step m8, Chris is a little sensitive about that
                        http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=36
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

well the last 48 hrs ive slept only 3 and done surfing, emailing fixing my wifi network,planning menus, replying politically correct emails, and now am ready to drop.also netwoked w/ techies and chefs and friends, and old girlfriends, read a book, done some basic martial arts practise, sang some dirty old songs.......shalalalalallalalala.

now i rest.

Comment

Ahem! Now come on guys now that's not strictly true. Public sector workers do work but only when it's a bank holiday and they get triple time

I had 18 years of working shifts in a previous career 7 nights, 2 off. 3 lates, 2 earlies, 2 off. 2 lates 3 earlies, 3 off and back onto nights again. Tell you what is screws your body up something rotten. Just glad to be working normal hours now
                            The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                            ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Silly aussie!
                              You tell him Jeremy!! When you visit Downunder for you!!

I was about to say Wullie was the winner of the Crazy Shifts contest, but having also worked those evil rotating ones (ours were 12 hours), I think 1st Place should be shared between Wullie and AndyUK!!

The best story I heard was was from British Postal Service. They had a Jamican (I think it was) working 18 hour shifts, EVERYDAY!! Took them several years to figure out they were twins doing the same shift and collecting BULK overtime.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X