Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 + Exchange 2010 on the cloud

Hello,

I have just seen an offer where it costs 10 euro per month and the features are:

1 GB RAM and 25 GB Hard disk.

I don't know how much space setting Windows 2008 R2 + Exchange 2010 could take up. Would it be enough those 25 GB ?. It is only for learning purposes, so it is not going to be many mailboxes, hence, not much space in that regard.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Windows 2008 + Exchange 2010 on the cloud

A 25GB HDD? That's probably not going to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
      Hello,

I have just seen an offer where it costs 10 euro per month and the features are:

1 GB RAM and 25 GB Hard disk.

I don't know how much space setting Windows 2008 R2 + Exchange 2010 could take up. Would it be enough those 25 GB ?. It is only for learning purposes, so it is not going to be many mailboxes, hence, not much space in that regard.

Thanks in advance!
      More than 25GB.

Why can't you just host this locally?

Comment

1Gb Ram is also far too low for Exchange - even for a lab, you are looking at 4-8 Gb. You will also need a DC

For training, get an old server (ebay etc) and HyperV
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, but looking for prices for a virtual server, and there is some 1GB RAM and 25 GB Hard disk virtual server for 10 euro per month.

I worked with 1 GB ram in the past when setting a lab Exchange, it is only for learning purposes, so, no real traffic ocurring.

I live abroad and I need a virtual server in a hosting company.

Thanks!
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
            Yes, but looking for prices for a virtual server, and there is some 1GB RAM and 25 GB Hard disk virtual server for 10 euro per month.

I worked with 1 GB ram in the past when setting a lab Exchange, it is only for learning purposes, so, no real traffic ocurring.

I live abroad and I need a virtual server in a hosting company.

Thanks!
            I had Server 2000 running on a P1 100MHz system with 32MB EDO ram (I'm sure) but it was unuseable.

You need to think about what your trying to achieve here. 10Euro per month equates to 120 annually which could pay for a hardware upgrade to your system.

You really don't need anything special to run a few VM's on your system and use that. Its even free to do so.

Type 2 Hypervisor to run on your Windows/OSX/Linux system

Server 2012 R2 180 Day Trial

Exchange 2013 180 Day Trial

There you go. Nice and easy setup and you are good to go. Play with, break and fix all on your local system with absolutely no dramas or hosting anywhere.

For your info i have a laptop with 16GB of memory and i've had up to 10 VM's running at the same time quite happily.

Comment

Exchange 2010 is 64-bit only, so if you go down the virtualbox route, make sure it will allow 64-bit guest OSes
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the invaluable pieces of advice!

The thing is that in my laptop already home 5 servers, and I would love to expand that, to another "site", to another physical location.

That is why I need a virtual server, plus I cannot afford now to pay 100 or 300 euro for an old machine.

I am looking to place an Exchange 2010 in such virtual machine, to study the DAG part of Exchange, and the sites in Active Directory, if I decide to rent another machine to be a Domain controller.

Ossian, I sometimes put 1GB for my local Exchanges machines and they work, relatively well, having into account there is no hardly traffic.

Again: Many thanks!
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                X