Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your experiences about Private Cloud storage

Hello, everyone,

In my company (small company), employees often go out that we I plan to build a "cloud storage" so that the data backup is the most convenient.

Because of some reasons, I am not allowed to use the Cloud of Dropbox, Microsoft, ... for the company.

My idea below. Please help to share your experiences :

1. On existing File Server (Windows 2008 R2), buy and attach a NAS and install BitTorrent Sync
    Create the managed folder as the file Server, configure BitTorrent for Sync folders
    2. On laptops, install BitTorrent BitTorrent configure Sync, Sync for the folders. Ask employees when working with data, they have to save into that folder.

My questions :

1. We have just tested a bit with BitTorrent Sync and don't know if someone that has used and find it stable as well as the sync speed. Are there any other programs that are the same functions and better BitTorrent Sync ?

2. Are there any storage devices that allows to do this without install BitTorrent Sync on File Server. Something like a NAS device that already has BitTorrent Sync built in or another Sync program built-in.

3. How do I configure so that the normal 1-way Sync data on the Server but when when laptop is lost, can configure to delete data from the Server (of course have to backup before) so that it also delete the data on my Laptop?

4. In question 3, if the answers is NO, is there any way to configure on your laptop when it is lost but can not read data (encrypted data, for example). But I want it is very simple, don't want to use encrypted Windows which need to join to the domain, that has certificate, private key and public key and rather complicated.
    Love in vain is better than love no one.

Re: Share your experiences about Private Cloud storage

Hi,

Some responses to your questions:

2. None of devices support out-of-the-box Sync protocol. Though, there is a packages for major NAS vendors.
    3. If laptop is lost - the data in sync folders will remain. Even if you remove folder from NAS, data on laptop won't be removed - so it's better to take care of drive encryption.
    4. There are plenty of solutions to keep drive encrypted without connecting your PC to domain. I personally used Truecrypt (7.1a and older), it runs fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RomanZ View Post
      Hi,

Some responses to your questions:

2. None of devices support out-of-the-box Sync protocol. Though, there is a packages for major NAS vendors.
      3. If laptop is lost - the data in sync folders will remain. Even if you remove folder from NAS, data on laptop won't be removed - so it's better to take care of drive encryption.
      4. There are plenty of solutions to keep drive encrypted without connecting your PC to domain. I personally used Truecrypt (7.1a and older), it runs fine.
      Thanks for your response. For encryption, I'll check the other encrypt solution as Truecrypt said they are not secure any more when I go to Truecrypt homepage.
      Love in vain is better than love no one.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyennp View Post
        For encryption, I'll check the other encrypt solution as Truecrypt said they are not secure any more when I go to Truecrypt homepage.
        They say it may contain security issues. This is really just some CYA. If you followed the TrueCrypt drama you'd know that the devs just wanted to stop supporting it.

I still use and recommend TrueCrypt 7.1a.

Steve Gibson provides the files and a write up of why it's still good:
        https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The Truecrypt successor seems to be veracrypt.
          https://veracrypt.codeplex.com
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
          X