Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Azure expensive?

Hello,

I am thinking of extending my Active Directory infrastructure to the cloud, so I saw a video about Windows Azure, but a technical one, really short and not in depth.

Is it expensive (monthly) to put a domain controler in Azure?

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Is Azure expensive?

Best speaking to Microsoft but IIRC cost is a combination of processor, RAM, drive space giving an hourly price:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pri...tual-machines/
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

It is somewhat confusing to me, but over time, I will figure it out, I guess.

I only want to place a domain controller, and was reading that there is an option to create a VPN-Site-to-Site to connect your on-premises dc with the cloud based one.

Thanks!

P.S: What does IIRC stand for? (English is my second language, not native)
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

IIRC = "If I Remember Correctly"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot once more Ossian.

The thing is also that my ISP (EE, in the UK) does not have static IP, so ,it is going to be very difficult to map a dns name (limoreed.eu, my domain) with a dynamic IP, so as to replicate data from the Azure based domain controller to the one on-premises.

I knew about DDNS, but I think that does not allow you to choose your own public domain name, as in my case "limoreed.eu" be mapped to a dynamic IP.

Very grateful for your invaluable help!
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post

I knew about DDNS, but I think that does not allow you to choose your own public domain name, as in my case "limoreed.eu" be mapped to a dynamic IP.
            Been a while since I used them, but most DDNS providers do have options for using your own URL rather than one of theirs, albeit with fees rather than for free.

You could also cheat and setup a CNAME record of limoreed.eu pointing to the URL of the DDNS provider.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan.

I didn't understand when you say: "...You could also cheat and setup a CNAME record of limoreed.eu pointing to the URL of the DDNS provider..."

You mean to say to establish a dns record in my private dns zone, or rather, in the public dns zone.

I don't get the idea.

MANY THANKS!
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

With your permission, I am going to open a new thread, since this one is called "Is Azure expensive?." , and this is evolving to an email related issue.
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
                  Thanks Cruachan.

I didn't understand when you say: "...You could also cheat and setup a CNAME record of limoreed.eu pointing to the URL of the DDNS provider..."

You mean to say to establish a dns record in my private dns zone, or rather, in the public dns zone.

I don't get the idea.

MANY THANKS!
                  It'll be public. Your Dynamic DNS provider will give you a URL of (for example) limoreed.dynamicdns.org which is a Host (A) record pointing to the external IP address. You then setup a CNAME record, which is an alias of (for example) remote.limoreed.eu pointing to limoreed.dynamicdns.org.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan.

I feel embarrased but I don't get the picture, I will try:

1. In the ddns provider:

- A record: limoreed.dynamicdns.org 89.34.23.12 (dynamic ip of my router)

2. Locally, in my dns zone of my dns server:

- cname: mail.limoreed.eu limoreed.dynamicdns.org.

A question arises:

The A record in the ddns provider will be updated by a software I have to install in my lan I suppose, but then, how do other dns public servers will update that information?

For instance, 8.8.8.8 is the well known google dns server , and it has to be updating that record day on, day off ?.

Sorry if this is too basic a question.

-

Also, you wrote: "...Been a while since I used them, but most DDNS providers do have options for using your own URL rather than one of theirs, albeit with fees rather than for free..."

But I have just read this:

!...One of the most reliable ways of determining if a message is spam that is being sent from a dynamic IP address. This is followed closely by failure of PTR record to return the domains name (reverse DNS validation). You will fail to deliver to many domains unless you use a relay with a static IP address...."
                    -
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

1. Yes, that's fine.
                      2. No, not locally. If you want to do this it needs to be in your public DNS zone. Your DDNS provider will set the TTL (Time to Live) of your record very low, so that changes to the dynamic IP are reflected as quickly as possible. Google's DNS servers such as 8.8.8.8 will look at their records in response to a request, see that the TTL is very low (E.g. 1 hour) and so as soon as that TTL expires the cached data is invalid and 8.8.8.8 will send a query to the authoritative DNS server for the DDNS host and get the updated record.
                      3. Whilst it is true that sending email from a dynamic IP will often result in it being marked as SPAM, having a static IP is no guarantee that it won't be. Most ISPs offer smart hosts through which you can route outbound email which helps increase mail reputation.
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

So, if I got it right:

In the DDNS provider:

1. A record: limoreed.dyndinamicdns.org . . 23.34.45.67 (my router's dynamic ip)
                        2. cname: mail.limoreed.eu . . limoreed.dyndinamicdns.org
                        3. I guess I should need a mx record: limoreed.eu . . mail.limoreed.eu

So, I have still a few questions, if you allow me:

- The A record is going to be updated every hour (due to the low TTL) or every time the ddns application running in a pc within my lan sends it the current ip ?.

- If in the interval of that hour (TTL) , many emails are sent from and to my organization, they are going to be lost, I mean:

from 10 a.m of the day 1 to 10 a.m of day 2, the ip of my router is 12.23.34.45 , but then at 10:01 a.m of day 2, the ip of my router changes to 22.33.44.55 , but the public dns servers (8.8.8.8, and others) won't get this new ip until 11:01, if I understood you correctly, therefore, those emails sent in that time frame (from 10:01 to 11:01), will be lost ?

Thanks a lot for your time!
                        -
                        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Looking into it, came across this:

http://smartypants.com/blogs/index.p...h-dynamic-dns/

Thanks a lot !
                          -
                          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I did it, but don't know how it will go:

1- In the dyn dns provider "no-ip" :

A record : loureedx.ddns.org . . 22.33.44.55 (my current public ip).

2 - In my public dns provider (piensasolutions.com):

CNAME record: mail.limoreed.com . . loureedx.ddns.org

3- I installed a software in the machine I have ISA firewall, and that updates the A record inside the dyn dns provider "no-ip".

I am not sure whether I will be regarded as spam.
                            -
                            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Look into sending your outbound email via a smarthost and you should be fine, if your ISP doesn't have one there are some 3rd party options such as GFI MaxMail which is pretty cheap.
                              sigpic
                              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X