Storage linit on Azure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage linit on Azure

I need to build a VM with 6TB disk possible? according to published info not. MS sales says yes.

Re: Storage linit on Azure

i built an ESX server in 2008 that had a 6 terabyte "drive" that housed image files for an official records server in a court house...

and that was with ESX 3.0x, so i would think it is possible.

the wiki had this little snippet:
    VMFS5 is used by vSphere 5.x. Notably, it raises the extent limit to 64 TB and the file size limit to 62 TB,[2] though vSphere versions earlier than 5.5 are limited to VMDKs smaller than 2 TB.[5]

now, the system drive wasnt 6 terabytes. it was just standard best-practice guidlines.

your mileage may vary... idk.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

While Server 2012r2 can support a 64TB vhdx the Azure platform may not support it yet.
      http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/doc...ervice-limits/
      This indicates a max file share size of 5TB, so possibly a max disk/VHD of 5TB.

Not that I'm paranoid, but I'd get the sales person to offer a full refund should a 6TB disk not be capable of being provisioned, supported and backed up.
      That might get a better answer that either the doc or the sales rep mentions.

I will ask other sources and get back if I get an answer.
      The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
      Always be Batman.

Comment

127GB max OS disk.
        1TB for the data disks.

I'll need to see if you could use 6 or more 1TB disks to storage space disks to make a 6TB disk.
        But you could possibly be putting a software RAID into a thin provisioned space, not a great idea as you'll loose the supported redundancy.
        The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
        Always be Batman.

Comment

Working...
        X