X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneDrive Synchronisation Issue

OK,

I think this is where I post this.

Courtesy of my new laptop I now have 100GB of OneDrive space, enough to make it actually useful. So I put my Outlook archive (2.7GB) on it so I can access it from several machines.

About 50% of the time, outlook refuses to let me archive or replay or send mails, sometimes even stops me loading the program ... clearely it's a synchronisation issue.

EDIT: I've attached one of the messages I get as I try to start Outlook.

Is there any way to stop this?

Keke
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 5th June 2017, 06:27.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Outlook has always been very unhappy with PSTs across a network, and even more so with sharing them.

The way OneDrive is trying to work is to synchronise changes from PC A's local cache (C:\Users...\OneDrive) to the cloud then back to PC B. Outlook wants a lock on the file, and OneDrive wants another lock on the file to write changes. Something has to give....

I've had similar with other "always open" programs and you end up with lots of copies of the file, and endless confusion. What you really need to do is get Office 365 and use Exchange Online, where the sync (across 5 devices IIRC) will work seamlessly.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Outlook has always been very unhappy with PSTs across a network, and even more so with sharing them.

The way OneDrive is trying to work is to synchronise changes from PC A's local cache (C:\Users...\OneDrive) to the cloud then back to PC B. Outlook wants a lock on the file, and OneDrive wants another lock on the file to write changes. Something has to give....

I've had similar with other "always open" programs and you end up with lots of copies of the file, and endless confusion.
      Ouch!

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      What you really need to do is get Office 365 and use Exchange Online, where the sync (across 5 devices IIRC) will work seamlessly.
      Unfortunately I don't have that, can't afford it (even at 7.99/month) especially as I already have a full copy of office 2016.

Thx anyways.

Keke
      J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
      The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Comment

Working...
      X