First Steps with Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Steps with Vista

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and am installing Vista Beta 2 as I post, so I thought it would be a good idea to record my impressions.

System:
    AMD2400+
    Gigabyte MoBo
    1Gb PC3200
    GForce FX5200 Graphics (128 Mb)
    30Gb + 120 Gb HDDs
    Dual Boot with XP Pro
    Vista Beta 2 from Technet

First thought -- a very slick interface, no "Blue Screen" setup
    It took a long time to get into the setup with no progress indicator or even a busy mouse. This felt odd and I wondered if it had crashed. Once it got to entering information, I did not seem able to use the keyboard to change dropdowns.

I felt the initialisation process was better than XP, entering locale and product key first rather than half way through the setup. I also liked the advanced options where the GUI display of partitions looked good.

Setup picked up the additional IDE controller and second HDD without problems where XP needs MoBo drivers installed. I assume SATA would be the same.

Currently copying files slowly so I'll post an update later.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

First Steps with Vista Part II

Something like 40 minutes of copying and expanding files, then the rest of the configuration completed in about 2 minutes. Very different from XP. There was also an "Installing Updates" stage but it skipped by very fast.

One other thing I noticed. No prompt for an admin password yet...

In dual boot, XP has been relegated to "Earlier Version of Windows" and Vista is simply "Microsoft Windows". This screen seems different as well, but on the first boot it went by too fast. After that, a long pause while Vista "prepares to start"

I should have mentioned before - Vista demands about 10Gb for the system partition. Gave it 12 for luck...

After reboot, went into "Completing Installation" with no progress indicator or mouse busy cursor. This lack of feedback is mildly annoying as I have no idea if things are OK or have frozen.

Having rebooted, I was prompted to set region and keyboard -- Again. At least changing the region automatically changed the keyboard layout.

Still no admin password, but now being prompted for a user name and password.
    Asked to choose a desktop background, then time zone and finally "You are ready to start"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X