XP Pro Vs Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Vs Vista

Vista may be a while off yet but I need to find out more information about it, including compatability, any advantages of it over XP Pro etc, all based within a business environment (In other word's I don't need to know about stuff like music and home entertainment features....) Also, if existing machines will be able to run it and what sort of spec they need to be.

Any help appriciated.

Re: XP Pro Vs Vista

Please try here

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...a/default.mspx

Comment

You can also download or order Vista Beta 2 from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One of the cool features is the new Remote Desktop Client, which supports multiple monitors, SSL Tunneling (conecting over port 443, instead of 3389), 32 bit color depth and seamless windows applications.

I tested a beta about 3 months ago and it was dog slow on a 1.86GHz Pentium-M w/ 1GB RAM. I anticipate this release requiring new hardware, much more than previous releases, i.e. with XP you could get by with as little as a 300Mhz PII so long as you had enough RAM. This will NOT be the case with Vista.
        Patrick Rouse
        Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server, Provision Networks VIP
        President - Session Computing Solutions, LLC
        http://www.sessioncomputing.com

Comment

Thanks for your help so far

Comment

I tried to download Visita on Thursday. It was over 3 GIGABYTES and on my high speed connection, the message read the download time will be 14 hrs. Buy the DVD. I do not want that monster on my computer.

I will run with XP for as long as I can and on the computer with the ME OS, which is very outdated now, I will change to Linux and in the time left before I need Visita I should have completed the swap to Linux.

Just looking on the Microsoft pages concerning Visita, I think you would need the highest speed computer available, probably higher than anything available on todays market, at least 5 gig of memory for good operation( I know what Microsoft recommends-we all know how programs work with the minimum amount recommended and for starters a 500 gigabyte hard drive.
            rumrunner

Any ideas on where to find a New Thread button?

Comment

Originally posted by rumrunner
              Just looking on the Microsoft pages concerning Visita, I think you would need the highest speed computer available, probably higher than anything available on todays market, at least 5 gig of memory for good operation( I know what Microsoft recommends-we all know how programs work with the minimum amount recommended and for starters a 500 gigabyte hard drive.
              You're off your rocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win.../vistarpc.mspx

Windows Vista Capable PC Logo (min specs) / Windows Vista Premium Ready

------------------------------------
              Processor:800 MHz / 1 Ghz
              System Memory: 512 MB / 1GB
              GPU: SVGA (800x600) / 128 MB
              HDD: 20 GB / 40 GB
              HDD Free Space: 15 GB / 15 GB
              Optical Drive: CD-ROM Drive / DVD-ROM Drive

I've got it running @ work on a GX 620, system probably only cost a grand or so, and it runs fine. Yes, it needs definite improvement on the interface side, but it's not slow or anything.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Rumrunner, I think you will find the 5GB refers to hard drive and not RAM.

New thread, look for New Topic, left side of the forum page, around the middle.

On your Vista comments, I have to disagree. Yes, Vista is a monster, but so was Windows 95 when compared to Dos 6.xx. So was Windows 2000 when compared to Windows 95. I expect the next version of Windows after Vista will be even larger. My only gripe (well one of many really) is they don't take the old stuff out. EDLIN is still included in Windows XP. (I suspect that there are still DOS 1 commands in there also.) I would really like to see Microsoft bite the bullet and write a totally new O/S and bugger the backwards compatibility.

Love the or hate them, our IT community would not be in the position today if the "Evil Empire" had not existed.
                Last edited by biggles77; 10th June 2006, 22:02.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Actually, I meant 5 gigs of memory or RAM. I use Photoshop 7.1. and am on the Photoshop forum. The New PSCS2 has people with 5 gigs of memory and 500 megabytes of disk space running out of everything and crashing in Windows XP Pro. Of course I realize that when you are creating images in process that can use large gobs of both if you use Layers and many of them and several of other things in the creating of a large image. The process of creating uses the memory and ram, when finished a huge image would be several hundred megabytes. Just suppose that you have several hundred such images stored on your hard drive. With the possibilty of opening 10 or 12 all at once.

That is just one program. Now you put in a huge monster like Vista and the programs that always will grow just as large as Vista no doubt if past experience is of any value and you will need the memory. Remember when 8 megabytes of memory was large. So what makes you think that we will not need 5 gigabytes in the near future?
                  Rumrunner

Comment

Originally posted by Wired
                    You're off your rocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win.../vistarpc.mspx

Windows Vista Capable PC Logo (min specs) / Windows Vista Premium Ready

------------------------------------
                    Processor:800 MHz / 1 Ghz
                    System Memory: 512 MB / 1GB
                    GPU: SVGA (800x600) / 128 MB
                    HDD: 20 GB / 40 GB
                    HDD Free Space: 15 GB / 15 GB
                    Optical Drive: CD-ROM Drive / DVD-ROM Drive

I've got it running @ work on a GX 620, system probably only cost a grand or so, and it runs fine. Yes, it needs definite improvement on the interface side, but it's not slow or anything.
                    Agreed! - Oh and nice article that.... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rumrunner
                      So what makes you think that we will not need 5 gigabytes in the near future?
                      Rumrunner
                      Right, so now you are not backing up your original statement, you said that vista requires 5 GIG of ram, yet the actual ms technet article says different! - Of course the way technology is ever increasing it's easily feasable to suggest 5 gigs of ram will become standard in your average pc.....just compare todays standards with 5 years ago! But that's a different story....

Comment

Just to go a bit further off topic, I have a user with a Celeron 1.2GHz, 512MB SDRAM running PSCS2 and while it does run quite slow, it does run and it is functional. If you try and squeeze 15 people into a car designed for 5 then it is likely you will crash and of course Windows will break.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                          If you try and squeeze 15 people into a car designed for 5 then it is likely you will crash and of course Windows will break.
                          Not if they're midgets and/or clowns.

Comment

well the only thing I see that Vista has (SO FAR) Is a lot of bloatware.
                            But then again, I've only just installed it in the last two days. No problems yet.

It does use 9 Gig of the Harddrive to install (My System)

I'm Currenting running windows Vista Ult. on a

AMD KT400 SOYO Dragon Ult. Plt.
                            1 Gig OCZ 3200 Ram
                            ATI 9600 SE AGP 128 Video
                            WD 80 Gig 8 Meg Buff.
                            AMD 2500+ CPU

No Special cooling here, pretty much and OEM System.
                            "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

I see Vista being purchased by home users as upgrades, home and small business users via OEM (with a new PC), corporations via OEM with notebook PCs and acquired via Software Assurance. I don't see businesses running out to purchase a new client OS when 2000 and XP still work fine, until they are no longer supported.

Good to have MSDN universal for home use/testing of these.
                              Patrick Rouse
                              Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server, Provision Networks VIP
                              President - Session Computing Solutions, LLC
                              http://www.sessioncomputing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X