• Windows Firewall: the best new security feature in Vista

http://blogs.technet.com/jesper_joha...01/426921.aspx

Read and be thrilled
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Re: Windows Firewall: the best new security feature in Vista

Oh I'm thrilled. are you thrilled too Wullie?

Naked dancing pigs....that guy has a problem!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

BTW, testing the latest build of Vista shows they haven't fixed the GPO FW bug/issue that happens whenever you try to create an outbound port blocking rule, it creates it fine, but instead of putting the port you've entered as the "remote" port, it puts it as the "internal" port...

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Oh I'm thrilled. are you thrilled too Wullie?

Naked dancing pigs....that guy has a problem!

Well lets say it has me tickled here.

How many of us will use the windows firewall?? How many of us currently do??

We don't even use it in our corporate enviornment.

Comment

Ok, I guess I'll go out on a limb and be a voice of opposition (someone has to right?)

I actually like the Windows firewall for clients only, not servers. It's lightweight, centrally managed, simple to use, and I believe it effectively reduces the attack surface of my XP machines. In case what I just said sounds familiar, that's because a similar writeup was just done in a recent TechNet magazine that reflected my exact feelings on Windows Firewall so in a way I'm borrowing my own thoughts that they put in writing and published to the geeks.

Can improvements be made on it? For sure. Does it sometimes cause me problems by blocking incoming traffic that I need to go through? Yes, but that's how firewalls work; open the port in the firewall so that this is not a problem going foward.

Have a great weekend!

Jas
          Last edited by jasonboche; 5th May 2006, 14:09.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason, that works fine if you are always onsite and are able to make adjustments on the fly. I see most of my clients once a week (or month if nothing goes wrong) so for me, Mr Firewall is disabled on each and every client. It results in reduced workload for me and happy clients. If an organization is large enough to have a fulltime support geek, then it is large enough to have a proper firewall protecting it's front door. Ergo, MS Firewall is not really needed. I can only see a use for this firewall for single users who connect directly to the Internet either dialup or by their ISP supplied DSL modem that has no protection at all (NAT not considered as protection, really). Apart from that, I consider it part of MS Bloatware and as much use as Edlin.com that sits in the System32 folder (and who now remembers how to use edlin?).

But I digress. From what I have seen from the linked article, the firewall is just bigger, more complex and confusing for the 99.999% of users. I deal with University educated people and most of them have trouble with copy and pasting or right click and send to desktop. Something like the new firewall is just going to completely bambooooooozle them.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X