Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windas Vista wont recognize Flash and external HD's

Windows Vista with Service Pack 2
    When I plug a USB flash drive, External Hard Drive or a SD memory stick in the slot it comes up as unknown. It states it can't locate drivers.

Other USB devices such as printers, mouse and KB work.

I have deleted the INFCACHE.1 repeatedly. The first time i did it it detected the device that was plugged in and I saw it download the driver. The device showed up as a drive but when I opened it showed up as empty which is incorrect. I tried the step again with the same results.

I am back to where I plug the device in and it shows up as unknown with no drive appearing to view.

This is not one device this is various USB flash drives, a couple external Hard Drives and a couple SD cards so it is not an issue with the peripheral.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Windas Vista wont recognize Flash and external HD's

Is this happening on just one USB port or all the ports?
    Laptop or Desktop?
    If Desktop, front or back ports?

Also check Device Manager, System devices and make sure the entries have no errors.
    Last edited by biggles77; 22nd April 2011, 15:32.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have tested All ports

Comment

Download USBView from here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html then delete any references to mass storage devices that you can see, reboot and try again and see if it picks up the devices.

I've seen it where one device seems to wreck the driver install for other devices and using that app helped me.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I gave it a try. The system does think there is a drive attached to it that is not it was listed as a K:/ removable drive. There is nothing there and I am unable to eject it.

After I ran the program and uninstalled all of the mass storage devices it reappeared as F:/ removable drive. I am not sure what it is. Could this be causing the problem?

My other devices still do not work. I tried both a sandisk flash drive and a Simpletech external HDD. I did do some additional searching and found some reports that the simpletech external HDD's may not be formatted in NTFS and vista may be unable to read them? The thing is there is another Vista computer that sees it with no problem so I don't think that is it. Besides the fact its not JUST the external drive that is not being seen.

Comment

Hi,

You will probably need to remove all the affected devices using the program.

Can you access the f:\ after you removed the drivers and re-added the device???

Comment

Open device manager >> expand USB controllers >> delete all USB root Hub's >> restart the machine .... check if this helps

Comment

I've seen this issue before.. Try going into your Computer management snap-in and checking the storage devices.. sometimes vista just wont assign it a drive letter the first time the device is used.. Just right click the drive and assign it a drive letter and you should be good.

If the device has already been installed and the Storage Devices in the Computer Management Snap-In doesnt show the drive AND the device has been used on the system previously open regedit and check HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR Start value should be set to 3.

If you get an error when the device driver is being installed, there is more than likely a group policy or someone changed the security settings on the usbstor.ini file. This file controls installation of a new USB storage device. Not sure about the SD cards (they probably have their own file.) This is how we disabled USB devices on DoD networks.

Comment

I will try new steps tomorrow as I'm not at that computer today. Thank you everyone for help!

The F:\ drive did not have an actual drive connected to it. It has shown up on this desktop since I started working on it. Once I unistalled all mass storage devices it disappeared for a few minutes than reappeared but as the G:\ drive instead

Comment

Working...
                  X