blank screen on bootup after login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blank screen on bootup after login

- What Operating System and Service Pack level are you using?
    Windows Vista Home Prem sp2
    - Are you in a Workgroup or in an Active Directory domain environment?
    I do not believe so, I am the admin
    - What are you trying to do?
    I am trying to boot up as fast as possible. I want to get rid of the long minutes long pause with a blank screen and only the cursor showing.
    - Why are you trying to do it?
    I am trying to keep my sanity, by waiting for this long 5 minute blank screen I get anxious, and a bit angry.
    - What did you try already, why, and what was the result of your actions?
    I have only tried to remove a couple of programs that I had installed over the last couple of weeks and tried a system restore.
    - What was the exact error message that you received?
    NO MESSAGE
    - What does the Event Log say?
    I Don't Know.
    - Are there any hardware restrictions we should know of (i.e. no floppy, no CD, etc.)
    No
    - Do you have current backups?
    No
    Why not?
    My External Hard drive has become unreadable in the last few months. This is a seperate issue that I want to fix as well, but first things first.
    - Network setup issues, DNS, IP addresses etc.
    I do seem to lose my internet connection periodically, I bought a new modem and that sped up my connection, however it is still intermittant.
    - Firewalls blocking connections, anything we should know?
    I am unaware of any firewall issues. I do have a router.
    - Any other information you think we might need in order to help you.
    Once the five minutes of blank screen and only the cursor showing have passed and even before that, everything seems to run pretty quick and normal. I have performed virus and ad scans and haven't turned anything up. I have run bittorrent in the past and still do periodically, however I do not have it loading up on startup.

Re: blank screen on bootup after login

what happens if you boot into safe mode?

Am I correct in understanding that when you boot into the OS,. you get the login screen, then a black screen after that?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for responding Tehcamel.

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post

I have not tried safe mode, will see what happens this evening after the day job.

Am I correct in understanding that when you boot into the OS,. you get the login screen, then a black screen after that?
      I have not tried safe mode, will see what happens this evening after the day job.

THis is correct. I get the normal lapse of time from a cold boot to the login screen, then after login a black screen with only the cursor showing will appear and it stays for a long 5mins. after that everything seems to load up as usual.
      Last edited by paulvild; 21st March 2011, 17:04. Reason: did not understand how the quote worked. :)

Comment

So after 5 minutes of black, everything is as normal again?

How long has this been going on and what changed before that?

When you're able, run Windows Update and ensure that Windows is fully patched and also ensure that you have the most recent version of all hardware drivers, particularly for your graphics card.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What anti virus are you running? If Norton, UNINSTALL and try something else.

Once the screen has returned click;
          Orb
          type MSCONFIG (not case sensitive)
          click BOOT tab
          click Advanced options...
          tick Number of processors:
          pulldown menu on the right and choose all the CPUs you have for booting.
          click OK
          click OK
          By completing this process you speed up the boot process. On my Core2 Duo laptop, it sped up boot time by 40% (yes, I actually sat here and timed the bloody boot times over several cycles)
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am not running Norton, I am running AVG Free

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              So after 5 minutes of black, everything is as normal again?

How long has this been going on and what changed before that?

When you're able, run Windows Update and ensure that Windows is fully patched and also ensure that you have the most recent version of all hardware drivers, particularly for your graphics card.
              Yes, then everything returns to normal.
              I did load up HanDBase desktop and MacroExpressPro before i noticed this happening. I since have uninstalled them but no change, so I reinstalled them.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post

How do I force a safe mode boot?

Comment

This guide will show you how to boot into safe mode on all OS

Or if you don't like reading a whole guide.

Restart your computer.
                  When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.
                  Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys.
                  Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode.
                  When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.
                  Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.
                  Last edited by Managor; 23rd March 2011, 20:18.
                  "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Unplug all USB devices currently connected to the computer (iPone, iPad, iPod, printer ect.) then reboot the computer,, does that make any difference?

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

also try creating a new user profile, see if this helps.

Are you on a domain, or just a home computer?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X