Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista

I had a failure when copying files from Windows XP Ntbackup for installation into Program files in Windows Vista because Vista doen not allow selective backup of individual file. They instead cause you to backup the entire drive.

I followed Petri's instructions from here
    Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista

January 8, 2009

I AM NOT ALLOWED TO POST THE URL ?

When copying the proper files from a purchased XPPro disc into my F: drive folder they fail.

Ntbackup.exe
    Ntmsapi.dll
    Vssapi.dll

They are seen below after copying them into F: drive all I get are icon for the actual files that will not open. They are in kilobytes. As you can see - these are NOT correct.

NOT ALLOWED TO POST A PIC ?

I also put a shortcut on the desktop and its they same as the others. Will not open bec. there is no program associated with the files.

In the demo pictures of Petri's images of the files to be copied they have PICTURE ICONS that are correct.

Can anyone help.............

BTW I followed ALL of the instructions in Petris Demo page
    Last edited by PicPacMan; 29th December 2010, 20:23.

Re: Installing Windows XP Ntbackup on Windows Vista

Do you have 64-bit Vista?
    If so, you will need the files from 64-bit XP

You have less than 5 posts, so no permissions to post links -- sorry!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Do you have 64-bit Vista?
      If so, you will need the files from 64-bit XP

You have less than 5 posts, so no permissions to post links -- sorry!

I have 32 bit Vista ............is there any way you can help with my problem of not being able to copy the files mentioned in the last post - from the XP disc into my F: Drive?
      Last edited by PicPacMan; 29th December 2010, 18:30.

Comment

Will give it a go when I can find a vista machine to practice on.

Try copying using an administrator command prompt
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Will give it a go when I can find a vista machine to practice on. Try copying using an administrator command prompt
          It would be helpful if you would give (at the very least) a basic instruction - your speaking to a NOVICE
          Last edited by PicPacMan; 30th December 2010, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by PicPacMan View Post
            It would be helpful if you would give (at the very least) a basic instruction - your speaking to a NOVICE
            Sorry, my psychic powers must have been on the blink somewhere as I completely failed to pick up any indication of your skill level from the earlier posts.
            Please remember that all help given here is voluntary and from people giving up their free time to do so.

To run an administrator command prompt:
            Right click on the cmd icon and select "run as administrator". This will give you more permissions than the normal command prompt.

To copy files:
            type "cd <path of folder containing the files you want>" (replace <> with true path e.g. D:\windows\??? or whatever it is
            For each file
            "copy <filename> <new path>" (again replace <> with correct information)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Sorry, my psychic powers must have been on the blink somewhere as I completely failed to pick up any indication of your skill level from the earlier posts.
              Please remember that all help given here is voluntary and from people giving up their free time to do so.

To run an administrator command prompt:
              Right click on the cmd icon and select "run as administrator". This will give you more permissions than the normal command prompt.

To copy files:
              type "cd <path of folder containing the files you want>" (replace <> with true path e.g. D:\windows\??? or whatever it is
              For each file
              "copy <filename> <new path>" (again replace <> with correct information)

Yes.........I had found a variation of your method and after some long time working at it I finally figured it out and I was able to load in the files from the ACPrompt but the process still failed in the end.

THIS WORKED FOR ME but it was only a partial success in that the files FAILED TO OPEN after they were copied over.

From The Admin Cmd. Prompt - this is an example of one of the extractions.

C:\Users\Philip DeGenova> expand E:\i386\NTBACKUP.EX_ C:\XFILE................Adding C:\XFILE\ntbackup.ex_ to Extraction Queue
              Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility Version 6.0.6000.16386
              Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
              Expanding Files ....
              Expanding Files Complete ...

I directed the files to go to C:\XFILES from the E:\ drive where the XP disc was.
              The files names are
              Ntbackup ...........these were hidden EX_
              Ntmsapi.......................................DL_
              vssapi.........................................DL_

The file icons were all "white" blanks and if they were correct they would have been "picture" icons - they would NOT open even after several attempts including UNZIP etc etc....... Clicking them prompted a request for "file association" blah blah........
              but at least this one read ntbackup 1.14 megs
              the other 2 were 40 and 140 Kbytes

I made a shortcut (AS PER Petri INSTRUCTIONS) of the ntbackup into my start menu and when I click it with all proper function ENABLED I get this message and the utility shuts down every time. his occures even though ALL THREE FILES One EXE and 2 DLL's were loaded in

I even tried opening them from 7ZIP
              Last edited by PicPacMan; 30th December 2010, 21:27.

Comment

It doesn't actually say to copy them from a Windows disc rather a Windows XP installation but just to try it out i done the following on my test Vista system.

From a windows disk i copied the 3 files to a local temporary storage point called c:\ntbackup\orig

Opened a command prompt and expanded all the files to c:\ntbackup

Renamed the 3 files with the correct extensions, 1 x .exe and 2 x .dll. So you should see ntbackup.exe, Ntmsapi.dll and Vssapi.dll.

Enabled RSM as per the instructions.

Ran NTBackup successfully from c:\ntbackup.

I think your not renaming the files to the correct extensions and that is where you are stumbling.

I cannot guarantee theses steps will work on your system but i do know for a fact they work on mine.

Vista was Home Premium 32-bit and XP was XP Professional.

Comment

PicPacMan: What are you backing up? Have you considered GFI Home Backup? It's free for home use.

http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

From what I understand, you are trying to Restore files backed up using the XP builtin backup utility and you are having issues trying to Restore them to Vista using the builtin backup utility. If this is correct it may be worth checking this link. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      It doesn't actually say to copy them from a Windows disc rather a Windows XP installation but just to try it out i done the following on my test Vista system. From a windows disk i copied the 3 files to a local temporary storage point called c:\ntbackup\orig Opened a command prompt and expanded all the files to c:\ntbackup Renamed the 3 files with the correct extensions, 1 x .exe and 2 x .dll. So you should see ntbackup.exe, Ntmsapi.dll and Vssapi.dll. Enabled RSM as per the instructions. Ran NTBackup successfully from c:\ntbackup. I think your not renaming the files to the correct extensions and that is where you are stumbling. I cannot guarantee theses steps will work on your system but i do know for a fact they work on mine. Vista was Home Premium 32-bit and XP was XP Professional.
                      Thank you.....I have a feeling its going to work..........success at last.\\I'll do it and let you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X