Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove the windows mail splash screen

I followed the directions but when I got to the place where I would type in
    "NoSplash" I could not remove what was already in the box. I tried to backspace--it didn't budge. I tried to write over it--could not. Could you please help?

Re: Remove the windows mail splash screen

Could you tell us which directions you followed?
    (You will not be able to post a live link, but if you remove the http:// it should work)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
      The link was:
      petri.co.il/disable_windows_mail_splash_screen_in_windows_vist a.htm
      I was able to follow the directions until I clicked on
      Edit
      new
      DWord 32-bit value (can't read this too well--didn't print well)
      When I clicked on the last above
      A new screen opened With a "Value Name" that I could not change.
      I could change the value data to 1 but didn't since I couldn't do the other.
      As I clicked again on the DWord 32-bit value--more entries were added to the list.

I don't know if this will solve my problem--I was told by Office Max to try this.
      Somehow--I pressed something one day while on Windows Mail and I reverted back to a previous version. Send and Receive, Reply, all is different.
      Am trying to get back to the "other" version. System Restore does not work.
      Thank you for any help you can give me.
      I was advised "on line" to download the new Windows Live Email and did but put in a temporary folder and lost it. I am not too computer literate--sorry.

Comment

Had you logged on as the administrator or run regedit as administrator
        (It is not enough to have an account with admin permissions, you need to right click and "run as administrator")
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am the only user and the administrator.
          I have looked everywhere and can't figure out how to log on as administrator.
          thank you for your help.

Comment

As I said, you should be able to type Regedit in the search dialog, then when it appears to right click it and select "Run As Administrator"

Works for 7 -- don't have Vista handy to test on
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I wanted to give you the url but I do not have enough postings on this site to do so. It is a site to download a tool to remove malware.

(I wanted to make sure I can give you the link--first thing--couldn't)

Office Depot told me that most of my computer problems have to do with malware.
              When I typed in regedit and did the right click my choices did not include administrator--but permissions. I could not "allow" myself to be the administrator because (this is from the help I clicked----"If the allow or deny permission check boxes in the various parts of the access control user interface are shaded when you view the permissions of an object, the object has inherited permissions from the parent object. You can set these inherited permissions through the PERMISSIONS tab of the Advanced Security Settings Properties page. There are 3 recommended ways to make changes to inherited permissions. I did not get any of the 3 due to the language.

(If I need to type more for you--I would be glad to do so as this is so complex, I am probably going to end up paying Office Max $169 to remove the malware BUT even if I do they cannot say for sure that my pc will function properly.)

Continuing from above--I did not understand this "language" and since this is advanced settings and security and so important--I clicked onto Vista for help. That is where I found a ? that was similar to mine--"Why can't I run my own computer as administrator? The answer is it is malware infected and must have the malware removed before anything can be done. This is exactly what Office Depot told me.

The above link was given. The charge is $24.95. I don't know whether to trust this or not.

Thank you for your help. If I never hear from you again, I will understand. I guess I should have paid the $169 last week and possibly avoided all of this chaos.

Comment

Don't pay for malware removal.

Dowload malwarebytes and install, update and run a scan using that. If you have malware then i'm sure it will pick it up.

To run as the administrator try holding down the shift key and right clicking or try using the command prompt and using the command runas.

Comment

I ran the malbytes--no charge --it wouldn't work-sent them a message as to why not
                  ran a scan from Belarc's this was the result I think we would be interested in

local user accounts last logon
                  Sharon 11/23/2010 2:38:21 PM (admin)
                  local system accounts
                  X Administrator 4/25/2007 11:44:31 PM (admin)
                  X Guest never

X Marks a disabled account

X's were in red

I tried everything you suggested--nothing worked.
                  I am ready to give up.
                  I will just have to use as is or pay $169 or maybe get an answer from malbytes as to why that didn't work--probably because of the administrator thing.

Again--thank you for your help. Sorry I am so bad at doing work on the pc.

Comment

In Vista the admin and guest accounts are automatically disabled -- this is normal
                    It does not affect "run AS administrator" as described (twice) above

What went wrong with Malwarebytes? Usually it is very reliable

$169 -- I would try your local computer shop first, as they have expertise while Office Depot has sales staff
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

I have no idea about the malware. There is a nice man helping me check on this. Perhaps I downloaded the wrong tool--which would be par for the course for me. Thank you so much for all your time. You are a very nice person to have tried to help a computer illiterate like me.

Comment

No worries!
                        Please confirm you went to www.malwarebytes.com and downloaded the free version?
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Thank you for the link. I had used an old version or ???. Used this--found one malware in the registry key.

Comment

PS I did not pay for the previous download.

Comment

So we can almost safely say that you have no malware on your system.

Have you ran a virus scan of your machine???

Please try this

Copy the text below and paste it into notepad and save as WindowsMail.reg on your desktop.

Code:
                              Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail]
                              "NoSplash"=dword:00000001
                              Double click the saved file and when prompted import it into the registry.

The exact process may differ on Vista than mine, Windows 7 Professional, but should be similar.

This is the process exactly that i used.

Saved the above code into notepad as WindowsMail.reg onto my dekstop.
                              Double clicked the file and when prompted by User Account Control allow it to make the relevant changes.
                              Registry Editor will then basically ask if you are sure you want to import it into the registry and warns you it can cause problems. Click Yes to continue.
                              You will then be prompted that the import has been successful.
                              You can then open regedit and view said key.

I can upload the relevant registry file here, as a txt file which you can rename if you want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X