No announcement yet.

Vista Install Blocked

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Install Blocked

Two aborted install attempts has this machine trapped. As of this writing, the drive shows the following after trying with the original Vista ultimate disk:

Disk 0 partition 1 147.6GB 79.4 GB Primary
    Disk 0 unallocated 1.56GB 1.56GB Primary

Unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation
    Partition must have at least 7413MB freespace

Failed to create new partition on unused space

There are no options that allow the installation to continue. Have never seen this before. The option to go to command prompt leads to an :X drive... one cannot change directory to a c prompt. Cannot format drive

I would at least want to get the windows.old file from the computer. What options remain for this circumstance? Is there a vista boot diskette that would help in this case. Guidance sought

Re: Vista Install Blocked

Perhaps there is something up with the drive. Have you tried removing it from the machine and connecting it to another machine to get the data off it then check it for errors?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Are you able to boot off the CD, but goto the recovery Console (can not remember if that is exactuly what its called in Vista(the option for the command prombt)), and reformat the drive from there?

Its strange that it is not giving you the option to reformat the petition, or hell, re-petition the drive completely.

Failing both of them, Get a Bart or hirens boot CD and that will have the tools on there to format the drive and start afreash.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
      IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

boot from the DVD, the choose custom install, drive options (advanced)
        the way i do it is to delete the partitions and leave c: there.
        then i extend c: partition, after that i format c: and it always works fine.
        maybe its failing because it reserves 100mb on c: for system partition, so just extend then format that and hopefully u should be fine.

here are some pictures and stuff
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.