No announcement yet.

Vista Ultimate Machine Down... No Operating System

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Ultimate Machine Down... No Operating System

Recently reinstalled Vista and after the install I opted to try the bitlocker security feature. BitLocker created an"S" drive for bitlocker files and automatically rebooted. The machine now reports 'no operating system found'

The vista OS disk was used to perform another install but after setting the BIOS for CD as the first boot option the drive is not seen. I have an old BOOT Disk [Power Quest] from a tech friend who made it on another machine. With it, I see the following:

-Starting Caldera Dr. DOS
    - Made by Power Quest Drive Image
    - Option to select an image file exists

Note that I've not used this PowerQuest BOOT CD until this day. It does allow the laptop to recognize a USB Floppy drive.

I have a Vista Ultimate Desktop that is working and connected to the internet. I would ask if there are any files I could download and copy to the floppy that would give me some control over the laptop. Perhaps the format command to format the laptop hard drive. Looking for an informed opinion

Re: Vista Ultimate Machine Down... No Operating System

Bit locker is designed to lock people out of a drive even if physically removed so the behaviour is not unexpected.

When you installed it, did you create some form of recovery media?
    If not, a new drive may be your only option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **