Software UPDATES

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software UPDATES

Hello guys,

we have windows server 2003 DC...workstations are windows vista

I have not given users, administartors privilege on the workstations, so that they cannot install any software for security reasons, which is fine!

now the problem i am facing is, programs like JAVA or CCleaner has updates and users cannot install these updates as vista asks them to enter administrators password..

is there any way they can install the updates without entering the admin password?

Re: Software UPDATES

You may be able to do this, but you should really find a way to centrally manage the deployment of updates rather than letting users handle it. I know that the latest versions of Java can be pushed out the same way you'd deploy any MSI-installed software.

The CCleaner website tells you that users must be administrators to install updates.

Why not consider ditching CCleaner? There's nothing it does that you can't achieve with a mix of Group Policy and WIndows Defender, updates for which you deploy through WSUS along with OS updates.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 6th August 2010, 19:57.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.