No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysprep

Launched sysprep on a Windows Vista Ultimate Laptop thinking that it would simply create an image. Problems ensused and now I cannot get back to my operating system nor can I progress with the completion of sysprep. It did, however, create a sysprep file. The sysprep process only requested one user intervention for shut down, reboot, and one other option

It is almost certain that I will have to reinstall Vista and lose files, pst, etc. I would like to learn from this experience and so I would ask if there is some command that can be issued from the command prompt to query the machine for error logs. What was supposed to happen when sysprep was initiated? Thought a file would be created to be used at some later time. I have read a microsoft technet article and cannot understand what happened in this instance.

What can be done to retrieve what might still exist on the drive? Much thanks for any guidance as I await a reply

Re: Sysprep

Originally posted by MPhillip View Post
    It is almost certain that I will have to reinstall Vista and lose files, pst, etc.
    You don't back your important files up?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Your understanding of what sysprep does is incorrect. It prepares the system for image capture by removing all unique identifiers from it, E.g. SIDs, Domain Membership, Computer Name etc. It does not create an image by itself.

Your files should still be there though, you might have to either slave the drive into another machine and copy them over, or at worst reinstall Windows over the top of your existing installation. All old directories will be shifted into a folder called Windows.old and you should be able to retrieve the files before doing a proper format and reinstall.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

Much thanks for your timely and informative reply. I would like to benefit from this by querying the machine's log files if any are created throught the sysprep process. Although I did see a sysprep file outside the sysprep folder other events took place with a subsequent reboot. From that time, the machine commenced a set up operation but aparently with errors. Attachement included

I do have the microsoft technet article on sysprep but it obviously does not cover what happened in this instance. I am just as interested in diagnosing issues/failures as I am in sysprep proficiency. Your commentary would still be welcome as best practices is something I would want to know. Much thanks for your informed opinion as I await your reply. I close