No announcement yet.

Revert To Restore Point And Then Back To The Present?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revert To Restore Point And Then Back To The Present?

I need to recover my bookmarks in Google Chrome. Unfortunately I've deleted my "user" which is located in Chrome's SETTINGS under PEOPLE. What that did was remove all my bookmarks, which I really need. (There are too many to just replace manually). I have backed them up to a file in the past but I have not done it recently so even if I use the back up that I have, I would still be missing some. When the "user" was deleted, Chrome warned that this 'could not be undone'.

I really need to recover those bookmarks.

I thought to just do a system restore, which I'm assuming would get the old 'user' back and therefore allow me to back up the bookmarks. My question is this: Could I then put the machine back to present time?

Also, am I correct about my assumption that I will indeed get back my old 'user' in Chrome?

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

System Restore only backs up system files (like the Registry and not data files. You could remove the HDD and then run a data recovery program on it from another machine and you may be able to recover the Bookmarks and maybe even your old "user" in Chrome.

Now if you had Shadow Copy enabled, you could recover the files that way.
    Last edited by biggles77; 4th May 2015, 11:13. Reason: Added info
    Departed: 23rd December 2015