Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP to Vista

Hi All,

I have a Windows XP laptop with 3 partitions of single HDD.

I would like to install windows Vista inplace of XP. Could anybody guide me how to do it without losing out any data please?

Regards,
    sandip

Re: WindowsXP to Vista

Pop the DVD in and it'll walk you through the process. As for any type of major change, don't forget to back up your data first!
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: WindowsXP to Vista

Agreed, the built in upgrade should do it fine

But remember you will have all the accumulated cr*p of old installations etc. IMHO you will get a cleaner system if you backup your data and do a fresh install of the OS and apps

btw, why are you wanting Vista -- 7 is much better!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows XP to Vista

Hi.
        I second Ossian: a clean install would be the best course of action. This is the process I would opt for:
        1) download and install Windows Easy Transfer for XP;
        2) run the wizard and save the old data (you can use one of the non-system partition for this);
        3) wipe the system partition and clean install Windows Vista (as Ossian said: Why Vista and not 7?);
        Added: 3a) WET does not migrate applications. It can migrate their settings though, if you choose to do so. Therefore, you should install any applications you had earlier and their settings you saved, at this point;
        4) run Windows Easy Transfer from within Vista (is built-in) and import all data that was previously saved.

Good luck. Tell us how it came out.
        Last edited by sorinso; 5th June 2010, 14:42. Reason: details added for clearing things ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Install applications between 3 and 4 or easy transfer will report all sorts of issues
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Install applications between 3 and 4 or easy transfer will report all sorts of issues
            True.
            Original post edited for clarification...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X