Change Security Settings on Multiple Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Security Settings on Multiple Files

I have a disk that once was primary, but now is secondary. On it is Vista that is no longer being used. I need to remove the Windows directory without disturbing other files on the disk. I have used the "Add 'Take Ownership' to Right-click menu in Vista" article to change ownership to admin/myself. Worked great!!!

However, I am not happy about going into hundreds of files to change the security setting so that I will be able to delete the file/folder. Is there another way to do this, perhaps something like the "Take Ownership" routine?

Re: Change Security Settings on Multiple Files

When you take ownership or change security settings, there is an option (tickbox) to apply changes to files and subfolders
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      When you take ownership or change security settings, there is an option (tickbox) to apply changes to files and subfolders
      As I had indicated, I was using the automated "Take Ownership" routine to change ownership to Admin. I am looking for a similar bulk procedure to change the file permissions to allow deletion.

Yes, I can go in the root and change the file permission on "Windows" to allow deletion-----and it appears to work. But as I go downstream to check sub-folders, some folders are changed, some have not.

Another interesting occurance is that if I find a folder that has changed, attempt to delete-----I am told that access is denied to the destination folder. I am assuming trash.

Comment

format the disk perhaps ? quicker and easier.. ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          format the disk perhaps ? quicker and easier.. ?
          Ya, I was thinking of that. But there are files on there that I need. However, I just ordered a 1T drive for another purpose; maybe I'll do it that way and say "the heck with it".

But, I still would like to know why the permissions are not flowing downstream to the sub-folders. Is this typical? This kind of non-conformance to standards makes me look towards Linux and Wine. Just don't want to go through all the gyrations unless I really have to. I only went to Vista from XP because of one video editing program.

Comment

Try manually taking ownership of a single folder (with subfolders) and see if there is a difference in the results from the "right click" version
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Try manually taking ownership of a single folder (with subfolders) and see if there is a difference in the results from the "right click" version
              I already have ownership of the files as Admin. However, changing the properties to allow deletion apparently does not go down to the sub-folders. If I go down to each folder and finally to the last file, change to allow deletion-----I can remove the directory in most cases. I have some folders, although empty (such as Downloaded Program Files), refuse to delete and display Access to Destination Folder is denied. Trash is set to delete and not move to trash.

Comment

there should be an option for inheritable permissions, or to forc permissions all te way down a structure
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  there should be an option for inheritable permissions, or to forc permissions all te way down a structure
                  OK, that works. Seems that I remember this command in the haze caused late at night when I was working on it. But---that fixed the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Rich

Comment

Ah yes, #2 said that. I must have missed it.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X