Problem downloading Word attachments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem downloading Word attachments

Hi, this is my first post. I have Vista as operating system and am using a 2nd trial of Microsoft office 2007. (the first one expired 5 months ago and I uninstalled all programmes assoctiated with it). When I try to open a word or publisher attachment via email or by websites, The computer tries to open it in Words works processor (9), and comes up with the following message "cannot open file....documents. app. tempfiles... file maybe in use by another application... file format may not be support be installed converters or file may be corrupt". I have installed the latest converter that has not helped. I am able to save, as it saves under the works processor, however if I right click I am able to open it up by selecting to open with office. This is really frustrating, and seems a long winded way round, bearing in mind my first office trial was fine and I did not have such problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Re: Problem downloading Word attachments

You need to remove all references to the .doc, .xls, .ppt and the .docx, .xlsx file types from registry so that you can save them to disk.

Use a tool called FileTypesMan from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html to make it easy to remove them.
    Last edited by biggles77; 12th May 2010, 06:56. Reason: Remove Tiny and insert full URL

Comment

IMO remove office 2k7 and any unwanted programs. run a reg cleaner software to remove any invalid resistry entries. restart the system. run a AV scan. Install office 2k7.

This should solve it.

Comment

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
        You need to remove all references to the .doc, .xls, .ppt and the .docx, .xlsx file types from registry so that you can save them to disk.

Use a tool called FileTypesMan from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html to make it easy to remove them.
        pjhutch, please do not use Tiny URLs because they could lead one to a page with malicious code.

Thanks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X