Unbootable Acer 6930 - Vista Home Premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbootable Acer 6930 - Vista Home Premium

Here's the deal. I've been working on this laptop for a client for 3 days now, and I swear I've read every forum out there, so I apologize in advance for any headaches I may cause here.

As the title says, it's an Acer 6930 with Vista Home Premium. When I boot to normal mode, it gets to the 'Welcome' screen, and the little spinning circle just sits and spins. The client said they actually let it sit like that for 2 days and it still did nothing.

Boot to safe mode - BSOD, generally with 'Page Fault in Non Paged Area', but sometimes others as well. (Sorry I did not jot any of them down).

Boot to BartPE thumb drive - 'remove media and press any key to restart'

Boot to XP Live CD or XP Live DVD - BSOD every time.

Boot into 'repair your computer' - Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.
    If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Hardware tests pass - memory and hard drive both come up clean.

Client doesn't have the Vista install disk, so I tried to D/L one last night, and apparently I got a bad image, because even in my other machine, the dvd is showing empty, so I am SOL on a Vista disk until I try to D/L another.

I've checked out several forums as I said, and followed a lot of their instructions to no avail. I have also had the drive out and hooked to another machine, and ran Malwarebytes on it. The scan literally took 13 hours and found nothing wrong. I have also ran chkdsk and it fixed some bad sectors, but that's about it. SFC /scannow from the recovery area/cmd prompt says there is a repair pending and that a reboot is required, and you can reboot all day long and it will always tell you that.

So, grab some aspirin after reading all that, get a coffee, smoke 'em if ya got 'em, and then let me know if you have any suggestions short of a 12 gauge at 20 yards.

- HJ

Re: Unbootable Acer 6930 - Vista Home Premium

Under warranty?
    If so, let Acer fix it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nope, out of warranty, already checked that out.

Comment

Data recovery and fresh install?
        And of that doesnt work, new HDD?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That's what it might boil down to, but data recovery on this drive is going to be measured in days not hours!

On a side note, had a brain fart, forgot to change the HDD to IDE mode from SATA mode, the machine will now boot to CD without the BSOD. So if anyone has any ideas about the original issue, fire at will.

- HJ

Comment

Daft note here but why not buy another HDD and keep the faulty one for data recovery.

Comment

I've got this topic posted on 2 other forums as well, and apparently I've stumped the experts! That said, data recovery was last night, and reinstall of our wonderful friend Vista will be today. Bugs me to not know what the problem was, but need to get this one back to the client.

Comment

Acer eah? What a pain in the as...behind.
                I'm afraid you are talking about a laptop not a pc.
                1. First thing is take everything down to just the mobo and PS. Unhook the drives, memory card reader (especially) and all other connected hardware. At this point the only drivers that will need to run are system.
                2. If you still get bsod, unhook even the hdd.
                3. Using one of those bootable disks (connect only that drive or usb) attempt to boot and run mini windows and see if it will run.
                4. If the thing will still not run, then you are looking at a system driver (embedded/onboard hardware - Chipset, audio, video, bus, pci bus, modem)
                5. Really at this point you have identified that the system driver is damaged/bad, or hardware.
                6. Since this is Vista you can't just install another os because vista/7 leave that little boot information on the drive outside your partition.
                This is the point where I am at. I get them down that far, after that it isn't prudent or cost effective to do anything else but reinstall (copy off customer's data files and reinstall)

I myself would like to know what drivers I must have to oparate at all (I expect only the CPU and bus drivers) and remove the others from dos, then let it reinstall drivers or install new drivers.

You can't do a repair install usually, becuase it doesn't (my experience) replace the drivers, but reuses the failed/bad drivers.

I have a large collection of OS, every type, every version. I have 1 "all versions win7 x86" and another "all version win7 x64" same for vista wich safe me a lot of trouble.

Sorry but it sound like the obvious choice is to refrain from the head/wall pounding, and wait until you download the os.
                I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
                Chris Robertson
                The Computer Doctor

Comment

Working...
                X