Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista picking up secondary gateway as default

Hello,

We have a windows server2003 with dhcp enabled. We have 2 gateways 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. The order of preference is 192.168.1.2 to be the first option and if this connection goes down then the traffic routes through second gateway. This works well on xp computers. But on vista and windows 7 computers, the second gateway is picked up as default and traffic passes through this gateway. An ipconfig /all lists the primary gateway as the first option, but traffic always goes through the second. the metric for both the gateways are the same.
    Has anyone encountered this scenario.
    I am a bit confused as to why the first gateway isn't primary

Thank you
    Mottai

Re: Vista picking up secondary gateway as default

I am not familiar with a dual gateway set up, but...

What routes are set?

Have you considered setting static routes on the Vista/Win7 PC's so they are forced to choose one over the other? You could change the second gateway entry so that it has a higher metric than the preferred gateway.

Would that work?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Why do you need 2 Default Gateways?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just came across this:

http://blog.palehorse.net/2009/08/24...ways-and-dhcp/

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

Blood: I did read that article. However I am not sure how to change the default metric order of 003 router in dhcp. I am using a windows 2003 server and I cant see any option to set the metric apart from ordering the gateways as per preference.

I did enter static ip address with 2 static gateways under the advance tab of tcp /ip properties. Assigned gateway 1 (default ) the metric 20 and gateway2 ( secondary) the metric 21. However, when i disconnected gateway 1 for test purposes the connection did not fail over to gateway 2. This would work in a dhcp environment.
          Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thank you
          Mottai

Comment

Hi, mottai

When I first read your post I checked my DHCP server and, as you say, could not see an option to change the metric.

When Windows starts, TCP/IP builds the route table based on the speed of the connections. What you can do is edit the route table on the PC and delete the entry that contains the gateway you do not want the PC to use, then add it again with a higher metric, forcing (hopefully), TCP/IP to use your preferred gateway.

You do not say how many Vista clients you have, but if there are lots you could lump them together in their own OU and assign a startup script that implements the route command. This page details how to use the route command and also addresses multiple gateways:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-on-a-network

Or, if you have just a few, add a batch file containing the route command to the

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.

I've never needed to do anything like this on Vista or Windows 7 yet (I only have one Vista client), so I would research it yourself before implementing it.

Keep us informed on how it goes.
            Last edited by Blood; 26th March 2010, 08:17. Reason: clarity

Comment

Hi Blood,

Thanks for the response,

I have tried adding a secondary gateway manually and also by route add command. On both occasions when the primary gateway went down the traffic was not getting routed through the secondary gateway.

Mottai

Comment

Ever thought of using a Dual Wan Router so that will handle any failover.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Additionally, I discovered this:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1878373.php

Looks like it has some pertinent information.

Comment

You have to configure Metrics although IMHO this is not the way to go. Someting like this:
                    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 <ip device 2> Metric 50
                    Metric is used for calculating the cost. The lower the cost the "faster" the connection.

What kind of device is your gateway? Many devices do support fault tolerence and IMHO this should the way you should take.
                    Dead pear dectection is I believe a RRAS option so I don't think it will work.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi

I have tried adding route as in
                      route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 gateway ip1 metric 1
                      route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 gateway ip2 metric 2
                      But my problem is when the primary gateway goes down, the computer does not pick up the secondary gateway. i have tried this on multiple Vista and Windows7 computers

Cheers
                      Mottai

Comment

Searching further, I found a thread on Egghead Cafe where respondents favour the approach suggested by biggles77:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...-gateways.aspx

Other links I've looked at for 'windows gateway failover' suggest the same. They all agree that manually setting routes is not the way to go, that Windows does not handle gateway failover very well, and that the best solution is a dedicated piece of hardware designed for the purpose.

Comment

Working...
                        X