No announcement yet.

Reusing Vista user profile after PDC crash

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing Vista user profile after PDC crash

I had a hard drive crash on my Windows Server 2003 domain controller. I installed a new drive and installed Server 2003 with a new Active Directory and DNS.

When I log into my Vista workstation with my domain credentials, as expected, I receive a trust error.

I unplugged the network cable from the workstation and use the cached credentials to get logged back into the workstation, but without obviously being logged into the domain any more. At least I have all my personalized settings, documents, etc., etc.

What's the easiest way to "reuse" my old local profile on my workstation with the new domain controller?

Should I try the Vista Migration Wizard and copy everything to a local folder, login in with my new domain credentials, then use the wizard to restore the old profile to the new one?

Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Reusing Vista user profile after PDC crash

MigWiz will do the job fine, alternatively just back up the relevant parts of your profile

Because you have created a new domain, you have new SIDs etc so, even though names are the same, everything is "new"

This is why a second DC and regular backups are a very good idea!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Reusing Vista user profile after PDC crash

And why I always install a Server O/S on a RAID 1 configuration. Drive fails - replace drive and life goes on. Hot swap cages are also really good.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015