Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64bit VPN Client driving me crazy

Hi all

I have just purchased a Sony Vaio RT2SY for my client - Vista Ultimate SP1, 64bit. All the bells and whistles.

Problem for me is I am trying to configure the windows PPTP VPN client to connect back to the office (SBS2003).

It connects fine at first but disconnects after approx a few seconds-1min.

Event log looks something like this:

Code:
    CoId={84A706AB-0D85-4EB2-9FAE-F5CBFC96E417}: The user Andy-Cotswolds\Andy has started dialing a VPN connection using a per-user connection profile named Connaught. The connection settings are: 
    Dial-in User = domain\user
    VpnStrategy = PPTP
    DataEncryption = Require
    PrerequisiteEntry = 
    CompartmentsEnabled = No
    AutoLogon = No
    UseRasCredentials = Yes
    CustomAuthKey = 
    AuthRestriction Mask = 0x00000200
    RasIpv4DefaultGateway = Yes
    Ipv4AddressAssignment = By Server
    Ipv4DNSServerAssignment = By Server
    RasIpv6DefaultGateway = Yes
    Ipv6DNSServerAssignment = By Server
    IpDnsFlags = 
    IpNBTEnabled = Yes
    UseFlags = Private Connection
    IpSecFlags = No Pre-shared key
    ConnectOnWinlogon = No.
    Code:
    CoId={84A706AB-0D85-4EB2-9FAE-F5CBFC96E417}: The user Andy-Cotswolds\Andy is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named Connaught using the following device: 
    Server address/Phone Number = vpn.domain.com
    Device = WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Port = VPN1-1
    MediaType = VPN.
    Code:
    CoId={84A706AB-0D85-4EB2-9FAE-F5CBFC96E417}: The user Andy-Cotswolds\Andy has successfully established a link to the Remote Access Server using the following device: 
    Server address/Phone Number = vpn.domain.com
    Device = WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Port = VPN1-1
    MediaType = VPN.
    Code:
    CoId={84A706AB-0D85-4EB2-9FAE-F5CBFC96E417}: The link to the Remote Access Server has been established by user Andy-Cotswolds\Andy.
    Code:
    CoId={84A706AB-0D85-4EB2-9FAE-F5CBFC96E417}: The user Andy-Cotswolds\Andy dialed a connection named Connaught which has terminated. The reason code returned on termination is 829.
    While it is connected I cannot ping anything on the remote network via IP or hostname.

I know about the heightened security restrictions of Vista and MSCHAPv2. When I look at the connection status while it is connected it all looks good except the network shows as Local Access only.

Compared the VPN properites to 2 other laptops we have also running Vista (albeit 32bit) which work fine, everything is the same.

Im totally lost, spent hours on this and cant get it working!

Help!

Re: 64bit VPN Client driving me crazy

There are a few suggested fixes here. Have you tried those already?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for replying, unfortunately, yes, I have tried those. I think I have gone through every google page I could find!

Strage thing I discovered also:

I decided to test on my laptop (also Vista Ultimate x64) and same problem. I then logged onto another client server (very similar to the one I am having issues with - SBS2003 etc)

Routing and Remote Access settings identical, client settings idenitcal, works like a charm.

So I now know its not my internet or settings, but also not the settings at either end. Both Servers are maintained by me so are virtually identical, down to Windows patch level.

Where to now

Comment

does vista have the firewall policies (domain,private,public) that Win7 and Win2008 have ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Are the remote and local network subnets different or the same?
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Well, small sucesss...

I have arrived to another client site today (completely seperate to everything) and my vpn works like a charm????

I dont get it. Every variable has been proven working by using another server with exactly the same Routing and Remote Access + VPN Client settings.

Oh well??

The subnets are all different.

Thanks for those who contributed, seems like this isnt working with JUST my home connection with JUST this one client.

Not a major problem as I was just building the PC and I am confident it will work fine, but still...it'll annoy me not knowing why.

Comment

Working...
            X