Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple profiles

Hi all,

I have Vista Ultimate version on my laptop.
    I want to create two profiles, one will join to the domain and the other will not join to the domain. Joining domain will use static IP, the other will use DHCP.

The reason to join domain is to use an application on the server.

But, if I join the domain, I can't get Internet access.

So, I want to join domain only if I want to use the application on the server.

Can anybody please advise me how do I do that on Vista? Thanks in advance.

Meggie

Re: multiple profiles

I think you're confusing things slightly. A computer is joined to a domain, not a user profile. If the computer is joined to a domain, it can still have local user accounts on it.

IP addresses are allocated to computers, not to use accounts.

As for accessing the application on the server, what exactly do you mean? Terminal Services? Running a client on your laptop that connects to something running on the server? Running an executable from a network share?

Without more details, I would be inclined to suggest you talk to your company's IT staff and ask for their guidance.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
      Sorry that I confused you.

To simplify my question, I want one user to get DHCP IP if he logs in. And the other user to get Static IP if he logs in.

I just want to know if it is possible. If it's possible, I'd like to know how to do it.
      Thanks.

Comment

IP addresses are assigned per-machine, not per-user. While you could have the users change the machine's settings when they login... why exactly do you want to do this?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not sure if this will work but you could create 2 seperate profiles for the machine and use that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225810

Comment

Thanks a lot wullieb1.
            I will take a look.

M

Comment

Working...
            X