X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with open power options

Hello,
    I got problem with open power options and "Properties" of "Computer"
    It's just opens very fast and after that it's gone, very wierd!
    The box runs Microsoft® Windows VistaT Business SP1.
    I did a virus scan but nothing strange was found.
    Anyone has any clue what the problem can be ?

Best Regards Rank-1
    Last edited by rank-1; 28th August 2009, 11:10. Reason: more info added

Re: Problems with open power options

Are you saying that when you click Start, right click Computer and select Properties, the window opens and immediately closes? And likewise when you try to open the Power Options window?

What AV do you use?

Have you seen any other strange behaviour?

Any problems noted in the Event logs?

Is Windows fully up to date?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Are you saying that when you click Start, right click Computer and select Properties, the window opens and immediately closes? And likewise when you try to open the Power Options window?

What AV do you use?

Have you seen any other strange behaviour?

Any problems noted in the Event logs?

Is Windows fully up to date?
      Norton Antivirus 2009, should i run it in failsafe mode?
      Acutally i havent check the event logs yet, i do that tomorrow.
      Yes its fully updated with windows update.
      I havent search for spyware with antispyware tool yet.
      Which is the best free antispyware tool, should i run it in failsafe mode?

Comment

Originally posted by rank-1 View Post
        Norton Antivirus 2009, should i run it in failsafe mode?
        What do you mean by failsafe mode?

Originally posted by rank-1 View Post
        "Best" is subjective and you will always get a huge number of answers. Some will be from people with years of experience, others will be someone throwing in their 2 cents. And some will be from well-written spambots. Windows Vista includes Windows Defender which in my opinion is a suitably robust product to be relied upon. The combination of security products I almost always recommend to people is Windows Defender and NOD32 Antivirus, which in terms of "effectiveness" has been high up, if not top, of independant rankings over the last few years. Incidentally, IIRC Norton Antivirus failed the most recent batch of Virus Bulletin evaluations (plus searching this forum will show you that very few people here regard Norton as being reliable).
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 31st August 2009, 00:15.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries
          What do you mean by failsafe mode?

plus searching this forum will show you that very few people here regard Norton as being reliable

By "failsafe" I think he means safe mode..

And as for Norton, every IT person I've ever met strongly advise AGAINST Norton..

As for me, I use Avast! Antivirus along with three Spyware / Malware Apps:

SUPER AntiSpyware
          Malwarebytes' AntiMalware
          Spybot S&D

This is also what we install on every PC we build for our customers..

Hasn't failed us yet in 3 years..

DJ
          Last edited by djohn86; 7th September 2009, 01:55. Reason: Typo...
          Daniel John
          A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, yes safe mode i mean.
            Isnt that good to run antivirus + antispyware tools in safe mode ?

Comment

Originally posted by rank-1
              Sorry, yes safe mode i mean.
              Isnt that good to run antivirus + antispyware tools in safe mode ?
              Honestly, I'm not 100 % sure, i guess in safe mode, none of the virus' process can hide it from a scanner, but then in normal mode, all of the processes are running so it would be easier to find?

I would run it in standard mode, and then if there are a few components that can't be removed try it again in safe mode..

Could someone please clarify Best Practice??

DJ
              Daniel John
              A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have running various of antivirus and spywaretools with no critical objects found...
                But i found out that its a problem with the update of "windows search 4.0"
                so i uinstalled that update and it worked perfect, so the problem is solved now!

Comment

Thanks for posting back..
                  So an update of a Windows Search 4.0 component was stopping you from editing power options??

Interesting..
                  Might have to research that a little bit..

Thanks again for posting back rank-1

DJ
                  Daniel John
                  A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

Comment

Working...
                  X