windows task manager reporting less memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows task manager reporting less memory

I just installed 4G of memory on my desktop but the task manager is only reporting 3326. The system BIOS is reporting the correct memory and also "System Properties" is reporting 4G. Yet "Task Manager" is only showing 3326. Is there anything I can do to make Vista see the 4G. I know 32 bit Windows only sees 4G, but that is exactly what I have. Could anyone advise on this?

Thanks

Re: windows task manager reporting less memory

Oh, the old "Why does Vista not use all 4GB of RAM" can of worms. While a quick Google search will return about 4GB of results, the long and short of it is this: On a 32Bit edition of Vista, Vista will report the total amount of RAM installed (4GB) but will use only what's available after the BIOS and chipset have allocated what they need for the underlying hardware, leaving somewhere between 3GB and 3.5GB of RAM for Vista to make use of. This is due to the memory mapped I/O needs of the underlying hardware (graphics card, etc.).

Comment

well, before I had installed 2G, and I believe that vista's "Task Manager" was reporting the right size: 2G. Is this something that only happens with 4G?

Comment

We don't know what hardware you have. Maybe you have a dedicated graphics card with its own memory. Which seems likely, since before Task Manager was reporting 2GB.

As has already been pointed out, 4GB is the 32-bit limit (PAE is something different, it only appears to increase the limit). Some BIOSes are able to recognise the full 4GB, others aren't - so the amount of memory that appears to Windows, assuming none is reserved for hardware, depends on your BIOS. And your chipset.

Last week I upgraded all of the computers in our sales office (XP SP3) to 4GB. All of the machines are the same model, but due to being bought over a period of 18 months they had different BIOS versions. The older ones didn't report as much memory. Upgrading them all to the latest BIOS allowed them all to report 4GB.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          We don't know what hardware you have. Maybe you have a dedicated graphics card with its own memory. Which seems likely, since before Task Manager was reporting 2GB.

As has already been pointed out, 4GB is the 32-bit limit (PAE is something different, it only appears to increase the limit). Some BIOSes are able to recognise the full 4GB, others aren't - so the amount of memory that appears to Windows, assuming none is reserved for hardware, depends on your BIOS. And your chipset.

Last week I upgraded all of the computers in our sales office (XP SP3) to 4GB. All of the machines are the same model, but due to being bought over a period of 18 months they had different BIOS versions. The older ones didn't report as much memory. Upgrading them all to the latest BIOS allowed them all to report 4GB.
          this is a new build desktop with 1G graphic card, new motherboard "Asus" I just cheked the BIOS version with manufacture website, and it is current, besides BIOS is reporting correct amount.

Comment

Yes, the BIOS will show the correct amount. 4GB is the limit for a 32-bit OS. Since you motherboard most likely supports 64-bit OSes as well, its BIOS has to too.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X