Always show reset password on Vista logon or lock screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always show reset password on Vista logon or lock screen

Microsoft has designed the "Reset Password" button to only be visible when an incorrect password is entered by the user on a Vista desktop connected to a windows domain.

I would like it visible all the time when the login or computer lock screen is active. I want this as I want the user in a domain to be able to register for fogotton passwords.

Does anyone know if this is controlled by a registry entry (or some other way) that if changed makes the "Reset Password" button visible on all login prompt screens in Vista / Server 2008?

I am led to believe that this may be able to be changed from the Computer GPO or a registry setting.

Anyone know?

Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12th August 2009, 20:15.

Re: Always show reset password on Vista logon or lock screen

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I want this as I want the user in a domain to be able to register for fogotton passwords
    What do you mean by this?

Do you mean your that your users regularly forget their passwords and you want to make it easier for them to reset it?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I have a password reset system, but I need to get the reset password to always show not just when the end user has an incorrect password so they can enroll etc.

So as my first post said;
      Microsoft has designed the "Reset Password" button to only be visible when an incorrect password is entered by the user on a Vista desktop connected to a windows domain.

I would like it visible all the time when the login or computer lock screen is active. I want this as I want the user in a domain to be able to register for fogotton passwords.

Does anyone know if this is controlled by a registry entry (or some other way) that if changed makes the "Reset Password" button visible on all login prompt screens in Vista / Server 2008?

I am led to believe that this may be able to be changed from the Computer GPO or a registry setting.

Anyone know?

Regards
      Peter

Comment

Ok, so to clarify, the standard "Reset Password" link just forwards to your third party system, and the first time you click on it allows you to register with that system, presumably specifying a PIN code and/or secret question/answer combos?

Probably not relevant, but it may help to know which password reset system you're using?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi, Yes that is correct. Making the "Reset Password" visable at all login times will make that process work better.

Peter

Comment

What password reset system are you using? It may have an option to enable this for you.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

No it is not a GINA based sysyem so it does not have an option to enable it. I am trying to find if anyone knows the registry key to enable it.

Comment

I suspect the reset password button will not be controlled via the registry but be coded into whichever DLL or code module is responsible for that screen, then shown or hidden depending on user actions
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X