Slow logon to domain profile while not on network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow logon to domain profile while not on network

I have a laptop with Vista SP2 and a domain profile. (2003 AD)

Problem is this:

When I'm at home and logon my profile it takes a seriously long time to logon the profile. I logon to the same domain/profile but the difference is that the computer is not connected to the domain.

I do not want a separate offline profile.

Q1: Why is this happening?

Q2: Is there any way to speed up what looks to be a time-out period or something like that?

Q3: Other good advice?

Tnx alot guys
    Greetings from
    Petter C.
    Norway

Re: Slow logon to domain profile while not on network

Do you have any mapped network drives -- that tends to slow things down when off the LAN
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also group policies which are cached on the system, logon scripts etc, the size of the profile, whether or not synchronisation is enabled, whether you're using a roaming or local profile, or if any folders are redirected.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

My profile is marked as "Local" under User Profiles. (DOMAIN\username, type: local, Status: local)

The size of the profile is 800mb, but I cant see that this is an issue as login is quick when on network.

We run a loginscript from a GPO.

No sync.

No redirected folders.

When logging in when offline there is no disk activity or anything for about 1,5 min.

Is there a timeout threshold or something like that that the computer uses when it's "looking for" the domain, and then times out and log in locally anyways?
        Greetings from
        Petter C.
        Norway

Comment

when you leave work and go home do you shut down/logoff from your laptop or just hibernate? I haven't come across your issue but sometimes when users just unplug their laptops and go home they've had a myriad of issues. Could be that the nic might still think it's connected to the network and trying to "find" it then times out. Haven't had any issues with cached credentials when logging in from a fresh boot.

Comment

Tnx for replies

I do not "un-dock" the computer without turning it off first so that is not the problem in this case.

However... I have "solved" the issue now... I installed Win 7, and it performes flawless. Instant logon no matter if i'm home or on work...

Tnx for all replies
            Greetings from
            Petter C.
            Norway

Comment

well there you go,
              another success story for Win7. what will the apple fanbois do now?

Comment

Depends if you want an answer in good taste or bad taste

Good taste: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1811646

Bad taste: http://xkcd.com/527/
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X