Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Vista Backups trouble.

Good Day.
    When I try to add the reg file I get an error.

[Window Title]
    Registry Editor

[Content]
    Cannot import C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\vista vhd changes.reg: The specified file is not a registry script.
    You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

[OK]

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, UAC off.
    AVG Internet security installed.

Thank you for your time.

Re: Mounting Vista Backups trouble.

Well, the error message is pretty clear - the file you're trying to work with isn't valid. Maybe the syntax in the file is wrong. How was the file created?

If you post the contents of the file it might help us see what the problem is.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

http://www.petri.com/mounting-vista-...-pc-backup.htm

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD]
      @="Virtual Hard Disk"
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell]
      @="Plug in"
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Plug in]
      @="&Plug in"
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Plug in\command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Virtual Server\\Vhdmount\\vhdmount.exe\" /p \"%1\""
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Unplug (discard changes)]
      @="Unplug (&discard changes)"
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Unplug (discard changes)\command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Virtual Server\\Vhdmount\\vhdmount.exe\" /u /d \"%1\""
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Unplug (commit changes)]
      @="Unplug (&commit changes)"
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Virtual.Machin e.HD\shell\Unplug (commit changes)\command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Virtual Server\\Vhdmount\\vhdmount.exe\" /u /c \"%1\""
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vhd]
      @="Virtual.Machine.HD"

Comment

Did you copy all of the text from that page? Because you're missing the first line...

Code:
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok that worked.

Now I still cant restore files from a previous Vista install.

History.
          I had a Vista Ultimate 32 install that I backed up with NT backup.
          I upgraded to windows 7 which was a dismal failure.
          I reinstall Vista Ultimate 32 bit and am trying to restore the backup.

When I select Backup and Configuration then choose advanced restore and point to the drive it comes up with this error.
          ---------------------------
          Windows Backup
          Windows was not able to find any backup sets on M:\.

Please select a different location.
          OK

Its there and Vista dosnt see it.
          I can mount the drive access and copy one file at a time but that would mean I would have to be in DOS to get all files over and Im no Dos Wizard.
          Im not even sure if Dos would see the external drive, Im thinking it whouldnt.

Can anyone help me to get Vista to see the Backup.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

When you say you backed it up with NTBackup, are you sure you mean NTBackup and not Windows Backup? While it is possible to get NTBackup to work on Vista, it's not a supported configuration, and I also am not sure of what licensing issues you might run into by installing components of XP on Vista.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I had to install ntbackup but yes thats correct.
              I just did a search of Straight NTbackup on Petris site and found.
              http://www.petri.com/installing_wind...dows_vista.htm

Im going to try this method and see what happens thanks.

Comment

NTbackup is looking for .bkf files it wont open a VHD file.
                Is there a convertor from vhd to bkf or can you somehow get NTBU to recognize vhd files.
                What are my options here.
                Thanks.

Comment

Ok, so you took the backup using Windows Backup, not NTBackup.

In that case, you can abandon NTBackup (and I would advise you to do so). Googling "vista mount vhd" might be a good start...
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I actually already did this but like I said Its how to get all the files from the mount back to the C drive overwriting the currant files.

Comment

Working...
                    X