Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidia and Vista and Win7 and dual monitors

Hello,
    Bought an HP XW4300 (and an HP XW8200, but about that sometime) and wanted to use, as I do with any XP Pro box, dual monitors.
    The HPs come with nVidia cards, dual outputs, and I first installed Win7 RC X64. No monitor at all in Device Manager, video adapter showed conflicts.
    Removed Win7 Ult and installed Vista Ult X64. Ugh!! What a disaster, but also no monitors in Device Manager, and conflicts too.

So, bought an ATi card, dual monitor capable. Placed it in the XW4300 and Vista X64 sees the card, and the monitors, and they are in Device Manager, and all is well enough.

It will really be nice when Win7 RTM comes out in a couple of days, and we'll see if that will install, which it should, on the XW4300. Then to try Win7 Ult on the XW8200 with an nVidia card (as purchased), a good one, to see what happens.

The boxes both have SATA drives, both with maximum memory installed (8GB and 16GB respectively). The XW8200 has two U320 147GB for installation drives, and the rest are SATA.

I advised the dealer, in Ottawa, to be aware that customers for these machines might be in complaining about monitor problems. It's obvious from postings about this on the internet, about nVidia cards, that this is a fairly common flaw.

The latest drivers were installed, downloads correctly named for Vista and Win7, and wouldn't install properly on the computer, for both OSes.

Hope that this is uncommon, otherwise what???
    Regards,
    Paul

Re: nVidia and Vista and Win7 and dual monitors

No such issues here with a GT 220. Managing to drive 3 screens under 7 x64, using the latest nVidia drivers.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hello,
      I thought to add relevant images for this post, but the attachment icon apparently does not work for me, although nominally allowed.

The "gforceindustries" poster did not indicate which machine his GT220 nVidia card was installed within.

The card in the XW4300, as purchased, was a Quadro FX540 PCI-e. The working card is an ATI Radeon HD3650. It runs two HP1740 flat panel monitors.

I found one flaw with the ATI Catalyst control centre: it would not allow me to increase the resolution of the secondary monitor. The Vista Personalise application allowed the resolution required. Rebooting has proven it works, with nary a glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul View Post
        The "gforceindustries" poster did not indicate which machine his GT220 nVidia card was installed within
        No, but I did indicate which graphics card, which driver and which OS are installed. Despite my poor opinion of HP's machines, I doubt your problem is being caused by a graphics card being in an HP computer.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Windows 7 RTM X64 Ultimate was installed. The updates were run, and software for the ATi HD3650 came with them.

This is a link to images on one of my sites: http://mattoid.com/data/Life/TimeLin..._line_2009.htm
          Go to near the bottom of this page.

The card has run beautifully, and so has the machine.

The main problem prior was apparently conflicts between the nVidia software and Intel i955 chip addresses.

The XW8200 with its expensive Quadro FX as purchased second-hand, will be dealt with next. Simply waiting for a keyboard to arrive before I do that.

Regards,
          Paul

Comment

I'm losing the plot here
            Is this a problem with Windows 7 or with Vista?
            I will move the theread if it is the former
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I THINK it's with 7, but let OP clarify..

DJ
              Daniel John
              A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
              ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Working...
              X