unable to use tightvnc and putty from vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to use tightvnc and putty from vista

guys, I'm trying to connect to a Ubuntu box from my vista machine to do some admin work, but for some reason I get "failed to connect to server;" however, I have a win 2k3 server with putty and vnc and I'm able to connect from there, so my next step was to completely disabled the firewall on vista, but no improvement there...

any help appreciated

thanks

Re: unable to use tightvnc and putty from vista

putty also doesn't work from vista right?

Comment

Originally posted by Highl1 View Post
      putty also doesn't work from vista right?
      According to the putty download page here putty does work on Vista. I can't confirm as I don't have my Vista test machine to hand.

To be honest I'd guess they're being blocked by the builtin firewall. try it without the firewall running and see if it works. if so, you know you'll have to open the relevant ports.
      This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Putty works fine on Vista. If your using it just for Telnet telnet is disabled in Vista by default as MS deemed port 23 insecure. (SSH prefered method now) You can turn it on though from Programs and Features.

Comment

Originally posted by graycat View Post
          According to the putty download page here putty does work on Vista. I can't confirm as I don't have my Vista test machine to hand.

To be honest I'd guess they're being blocked by the builtin firewall. try it without the firewall running and see if it works. if so, you know you'll have to open the relevant ports.
          I mean is ssh access from Vista working?

Comment

Working...
          X