copying profiles localy on vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying profiles localy on vista

guys, I remember when copying profiles used to be so easy in xp, but I'm on a machine which is part of a domain, and I'm about to disjoined from domain. but before I do, I need to copy one of the domain user's profile to a local one. The problem is that I log in as domain admin and when I select the profile I want to copy the "copy to" is grayed out.... yes I made sure that user was logged off before attempting to copy it....

any help appreciated

thanks
    -JV
    blog: URL REMOVED BY MOD
    Last edited by Ossian; 7th July 2009, 07:29.

Re: copying profiles localy on vista

Make sure you have rebooted the system, sometimes a users profile will hang around in memory and not allow you to copy profiles.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

i'll second that.

i haven't done this in vista but in XP even after logoff ntuser.dat was still being locked. restart should fix the problem.

Comment

Yup I third that, reboot and log in directly as admin. Should be good to go after that.

Comment

Because of the changes to user profiles in Vista I don't think the method used (that you're attempting to use) in prior versions of Windows works. Here's an article that details how to fix a corrupt Vista profile and it looks like this method may work for what you're trying to achieve.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2001e1033.mspx

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Because of the changes to user profiles in Vista I don't think the method used (that you're attempting to use) in prior versions of Windows works. Here's an article that details how to fix a corrupt Vista profile and it looks like this method may work for what you're trying to achieve.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...2001e1033.mspx
            Hmmm, I didn't notice he was going from XP to Vista. If that's the case then your right it won't work cause I've tried it, just get Windows Easy Transfer wizard for XP to copy the profile that way to either a network share or an external drive (you don't need the cable). Then create the new profile on the new machine by logging into the new machine and letting it setup the profile, restart, log on as admin, then access the Windows Easy Transfer file from that machine that you saved from the old machine and it will initiate the Windows Easy Transfer program automatically and you'll see the users profile you've created when you logged into the machine after setting it up.

Windows Easy Transfer Wizard: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

Working...
            X