No announcement yet.

Vista and Public Networks

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and Public Networks

We set our field Vista laptops up with user accounts placed in the User group and very basic privileges. They can't really do much such as install software but we're finding that placing the users in this User group is actually restricting some of their normal activities. For example connecting to public wifi areas. An Administrator password is required.

One solution is to place them into the Power User group but that obviously defeats the object of placing them in the User group in the first place.

Is there something we can do that will allow them to use public wifi without having to elevate their privileges every time using the administrator password?

Last edited by MoifMurphy; 16th June 2009, 11:50.

Re: Vista and Public Networks

I would suspect that NLA (Network Location Awareness) is the issue. Vista detects new networks and asks the user if this is a public or private network to configure the firewall profile appropriately. Domain networks should auto-detect.

You might be able to configure the non-domain Firewall profile via GPO to always be a particular network type to work around this.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Makes sense.

I'll give that a go when I next see the machine.

Originally posted by MoifMurphy View Post
        One solution is to place them into the Power User group
        The Power Users group in Vista is for backwards compatibility purposes only. It has no rights at all (you can see that by looking into "Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment" and see that this group does not show anywhere...
        So this is not such a great solution...
        1) what version of Vista are you using?
        2) are you in a domain environment? If so, which version?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.