problems with win vista sys restore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with win vista sys restore

I recently got a call from a friend, running a hp slim desktop with winvista, and she said she tried doing a system restore because she was having problems with her dvd burner it was freezing during the final burn process. After performing the sys restore all of her files, programs were deleted and everything reverted back to default. I asked her to perform a another sys restore to revert back to her original settings on one of the previous restore points but none were found. I then asked her to perform a search through windows search by pressing f3 to due a quick search not one file or program was found throught the search, in the start menu, or in the main c:/. I have not gone to asses the damage I will later but has anyone heard of deletion of files and programs through syst restore and how to recover them. I thought of using recuva but I will not know more until I go check it out any information or recovery software on this major problem would help thanks.

Re: problems with win vista sys restore

Is this the Vista system restore or the HP "format and reinstall" recovery DVD?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes i am pretty sure it is, i want to say 3 to 4 years old probably running vis32. I am going later to see if any files or program files are recoverable, but I havent heard of deletion of files from the recovery sys restore.

Comment

Didn't exactly answer Ossian's question..

If it was the HP System Restore, which I'm guessing (and by the sounds of it, is) it is, then she most likely did a 'Destructive Recovery' which returns the entire system to the way she received it, ie deleting ALL programs AND FILES, INCLUDING RESTORE POINTS....

You need to find out which Recovery she used before we can provide anymore insight..

Thanks,

DJ
        Daniel John
        A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
        ************************************************** **********************

Comment

Working...
        X