Can't run NTBackup under Vista SP2 x64

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't run NTBackup under Vista SP2 x64

When I try to run NTBackup under Vista Ultimate SP2 x64, I get a message that it Removeable Storage isn't running. I check Services and it IS running.
    I have a Seagate STT3401A tape drive. I notice there are newer versions of vssapi.dll and ntmsapi.dll in System32 but it's using the versions in the NTBackup directory I created for this program, right? My system isn't a member of a Domain, it's just a workstation on my home peer-to-peer network. Everyone else I've seen on the Web seems to be able to get it to run. I've tried Run as Administrator and there was no difference.

Here's a screenshot of the actual error:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5...blestorage.jpg
    Last edited by TomL_12953; 6th June 2009, 13:28.

Re: Can't run NTBackup under Vista SP2 x64

Does it let you backup to disk? The reason I ask is that Vista and Server 2008 are built on the same condebase, and as far as I am aware support for tape drives has been removed, at least in Server 2008. Never used ntbackup is Vista myself.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Do you mean that you're not using the new backup component that comes with Vista Ultimate?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        Do you mean that you're not using the new backup component that comes with Vista Ultimate?
        Right. I'm using the XP version of NTBackup using the procedure from this site:

http://www.petri.com/installing_wind...dows_vista.htm

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          Does it let you backup to disk? The reason I ask is that Vista and Server 2008 are built on the same condebase, and as far as I am aware support for tape drives has been removed, at least in Server 2008. Never used ntbackup is Vista myself.
          Yes it does allow backup to a disk drive (or any device that can be assigned a drive letter such as SD cards, USB keys).

Comment

Are the NTBACKUP files you have taken from XP from a 64 bit version as well?

Not sure whether it makes a difference but just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              Are the NTBACKUP files you have taken from XP from a 64 bit version as well?

Not sure whether it makes a difference but just a thought.
              Hmmm. No, they weren't. I'll give that a try. Since it's not working now, it couldn't hurt!

(some time later)

OK, I tried it and the same message pops up. Has anyone here actually gotten it to work?
              Last edited by TomL_12953; 8th June 2009, 00:42. Reason: Added post-attempt comment

Comment

I did exactly procedure as TomL_12953 did, hoping that I can use Ntbackup to do tape backup restore with my Vista system and I'm having the same issue as TomL_12953 has. Please be advised to resolve the issue.
                Same error message as this screenshot:
                http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5...blestorage.jpg
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X