networking with vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking with vista

I have a windows 2003 server and i have just added a windows vista ultimate Pc to the environment. it is on a laptop. My issue is that i cannot map any drives to my network.. Windows firewall is turned off.. I can ping stuff but when i go to connect i get access denied. Is it caching passwords?

any help would be awesome
    thanks

Re: networking with vista

Are you trying to map server drives to the vista Pc or Vista drives to the server?

I take it you are in a workgroup, not a domain?
    If so, you will need to have users on both machines with the same username and password or enter your credentials on the other machine when you connect to the drive (in Vista right click Control Panel -- USer Accounts -- Manage your network passwords
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

no actually i am in a domain .and i cannot connect to my network shares. it is baffeling me. i do not know why and i can login see my email and browse the internet. i can also ping all of my servers

Comment

have you joined the domain?
        are you logging in to the domain or just a local account?

DJ
        Daniel John
        A+, HDA, MCP (x3), VCP

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

************************************************** **********************
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
        ************************************************** **********************

Comment

yes joined domain and i am using network login.. i can get to my exchange server and get email through outlook but cannot get to network resources. Firewall is turned off.. cannot figure out the settings.

Comment

Is the Network Discovery feature active? Also, just check the profile assigned to the connection, if any. You do mention that the firewall is turned off but worth checking. This can be viewed and changed via Network and Sharing Center.

Comment

Few questions:
              1) is the Network Discovery turned on on your Vista?
              2) When you browse the Network, what do you see?
              3) When you try to access \\[servername], what do you get?
              4) Please go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center and post the screenshot here (delete the specific data from it, like the name of your computer and domain's name).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

where is the network discovery? i will get you screenshots and other required information shortly. we are just running login scripts to map network drives and one drive is manually created.

if i remember the error was something related to not being able to connect to the network like it does not exist

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Is the Network Discovery feature active? Also, just check the profile assigned to the connection, if any. You do mention that the firewall is turned off but worth checking. This can be viewed and changed via Network and Sharing Center.
                  I've mentioned it here.

Go to Start, Network and then click 'Network and Sharing Center'.

Comment

no luck network discovery is on.. Should i check file and print sharing?

running out of options here. any where else i should look. its a domain pc.. and its getting server credentials

Comment

this is a screen shot of what happens when a the user tried to get to the network shares... this is one of the default shares in the environment.

email printing internet access all work.
                      Makes no sense
                      Attached Files

Comment

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        i needed FQDN... I HATE VISTA!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE 7 is better

close it out

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem... Nevertheless, using FQDN is not something you should do (or need) in networking Vista. The problem might come from somewhere else, including a bad-configured DNS.
                          Are you willing to go on looking for the real answer, or should we drop it here?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X