Increase "simultaneous user limit"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase "simultaneous user limit"

Good evening again! I have come to you experts for another question.

My question: Is there a way to increase the amount of simultaneous users in a shared environment in Windows Vista Home?

My setup: About 15 computers (Not all logged in at the same time, but that t will be coming) All with a Net Use startup script to enable mapped drives using different credentials than what are on the local machine. The mapped drives are all shared folders set up inside Windows Vista Home - where the current simultaneous user limit is 5.

I understand that I can upgrade to Ultimate to get to 10 simultaneous users but this wont be a great solution for very long - I fear that I will only end up hitting that max within the next month or two.

Is there a registry tweak perhaps?

If there is no way to increase the number of simultaneous users - is there a way to disconnect inactive sessions? I understand that I can manually go to the machine (Or RDC I guess) and go into System Tools > Shared Folders and disconnect all the sessions - but I cant do this at all times.

Is there a time-limit maybe? Say Disconnect after 3 minutes of idle? Also, if this happens to be the correct solution, does the user simply have to open their mapped drive again to re-establish the connection - or would they maybe have to run the Net Use script again?

Thanks to everybody for their knowledge and expertise.

Re: Increase "simultaneous user limit"

IMO you will need to buy a MS server OS. or try use scripting to ensure concurrent access is always <6 users at any one point in time.

Comment

Re: Increase &quot;simultaneous user limit&quot;

MS have a "hard" limit in all client OSes
      For Vista it is slightly different to the "10 max" of XP, based on the OS version:
      Unless Windows XP SP2 which has 10 maximum incomplete concurrent connection attempts limit per second, Windows Vista default limit is based on which edition of Vista users are using. For example, Home Basic has maximum limit of 2, and Vista Ultimate is 25 per second. Normal Windows Vista users should not face any problem or slow network connection with the half-open connections limit. However, heavy P2P (peer-to-peer) applications users such as uTorrent, BitTorrent, BitComet, Azureus, ABC, eMule (eDonkey network), etc, or P2PTV such as TVants, PPLive, PPStream, Sopcast, etc may face some error or slow download and upload speed due to this limit.
      Note I am NOT posting a reference as it includes links to ways of overcoming the limit, which are in breach of the EULA

With 15 clients, I would recommend strongly that you look at SBS, as it will give you major benefits in management and security, as well as all the email features of Exchange
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by channer View Post
        IMO you will need to buy a MS server OS. or try use scripting to ensure concurrent access is always <6 users at any one point in time.

Thank you for your quick reply. A server OS isnt quite in the budget just yet. Do you have any references/help on the scripting that might limit concurrent access to less than 6?

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Mike
          Re your PM:
          As I said, there are ways of tweaking Windows Vista to allow more concurrent connections, but they are officially forbidden by the MS license agreement, so I did not post the link to the quote I posted. The full page included ways of overcoming the limit.

You say a server OS is out of your budget, but have you actually investigated SBS for 15 users -- you will be surprised how cheap it is
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do not think Vista Home will work on a Domain. You would need to upgrade to Vista Business. Personally I would try and wait until Windows 7 goes gold.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X